What have you Spray Painted?

SO, all the blogs I follow are talking about spray painted left and right. I have so many things I want to spray paint but I'm scared that it will look dumb! LOL I have lamps, a desk, 3 dressers, a side table, some vases, and some chairs. SO, I'm trying to see who has spray painted any home furnishes or furniture... =D Pictures would be awesome if you have any! THANKS!!

staceybelly9

Asked by staceybelly9 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Yeah I have spray painted all that and more. Why do you think it will look dumb?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i've done outdoor furniture, flower pots, picture frames, shelves, wall decor...there's just about nothing you can't spray paint. there are so many different types of spray on the market (made for specific items/materials)..and so many colors!!
    you can paint woods/metals/plastics..when i start spraying, i don't know where to stop. i love bright new colors, without a whole lot of expense (of buying new crap!).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Spray painting furniture rarely comes out well. Small things like vases and shelves do well. Plastic has to have a special type o spray paint or it will peel right off. My husband retouches parts of the grill with Krylon rustoleum every year.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I bought a side table at a garage sale for 3 dollars, it was an ugly color so I spray painted it. everyone who saw it, were like oh my god that I so cute where did you get that? I want one too. its funny

its ok to spray paint all the things you mentioned. Go to a paint store and get some advice on what type of spray paint to use, there are many kinds, tesxtures, gloss levels. Dont go to wal mart they dont know what they are doing and are not trained very well
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I spray painted my twins dressers. For a big job like that I recommend getting the plastic "gun" attachments for the spray cans to keep your finger from going numb.

I spray painted a mantle shelf, a fireplace screen, a small table, the grill, and I'm sure other things I am forgetting. My grandmother used to spray paint all kinds of things. It's especially good for livening up old or worn items.

Sorry, no pics.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I disagree that furniture rarely turns out well. It takes extra prep and care that people often do not want to take and that's when it looks sloppy.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Tips for wooden furniture: clean really well, remove any metal hinges and any knobs you don't want to paint, sand lightly, fill any holes with wood filler, sand excess wood filler when dry, wipe with a damp dust cloth to remove any loose dust from sanding, lightly cover with spray on primer, and then paint allowing drying time between layers. You might also want to practice a bit on the backside or bottom before you paint the front and top, and always spray a few test sprays when you start a new can. Oh, yeah - paint outside or in an open garage!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• if there is a finish you may have to lightly sand inorder for it to stick, or buy the special primers for certain furnishings.

as for painting, hold about a foot away and spray back and forth motions for a more even coverage. Try not to over spray because it will cause drip marks.. be sure to shake the can, don't hold too close because the pressure will cause bubbling.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It is much better to need four light coats than to do two heavy coats.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2011