What is this children's book (from the 70's)? Help!

Ladies, hoping you can help me recall this book. It's one I ordered from Scholastic Books thru school back in the early 70's ... it was the story of a girl who was spending time (the entire summer perhaps?) with her grandmother and she discovered a doll in her grandmother's attic ... don't recall exactly the story behind the doll (scary or otherwise) but the story centered around the mystery of this doll - there was some secret but for the life of me, I can't recall more than that.

The cover of the book had a picture of a young girl, dressed in white (not quite ghostly, but misty) and she was carrying/dragging the doll up the stairs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Entertainment

• How about -- Magic Elizabeth by Kassirer, Norma. Scholastic, Inc., 1966. Young Sally while staying in creepy old house with her Aunt Sarah, tries to find an old doll named Elizabeth. B&W Illustrations by Joe Krush.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Ugh I don't remember the name of it but I remember reading it and it was somewhat scary.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 4:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I did a fast Google search. Is it possible that the book you're looking for is Behind the Attic Wall? http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Attic-Wall-Camelot-Books/dp/0380698439

tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Tinamatt, that's not it but thanks for the link ... I'll bet my own DD will probably want to read Behind the Attic Wall!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It sounds similar to a book I read as a kid but it was called the dollhouse murder's I think and it was actually about a dollhouse so maybe that's not it. http://www.amazon.com/Dollhouse-Murders-Betty-Ren-Wright/dp/0823404978
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 4:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No, luuckymommy, the one you mention has a first publication date of 1983 ... thanks anyway!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Drat, sorry I missed! :-)
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• In Grandma's Attic?
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• jmpj8107 ... you did it ... that's the book. Thank you oh so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2011