What is the difference between Amish and Quakers?

I mean no disrespect with this question, but am truly curious. I just bought some amazing homemade soap and strawberries for a young woman who is Quaker and didn't want to ask her and possibly offend her.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous

• When it comes down to it what is the main difference. Maybe I should have worded differently. Are they more liberal, are they more into modern technology than Amish?
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I am by no means an expert on the subject, but the only Quaker family I have ever known had no restrictions against modern technology, art/music, or public school and higher education. To my knowledge, all of those things are frowned upon by the Amish church.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I don't know any Quakers, but we have a large Amish community where I am from. Most Amish are very strict about owning vehicles, using telephones, having electricity or indoor plumbing. I know they are also very strict about vanity, and wont allow things like buttons, colors other than very basics like blue, black, brown, white, and will not allow their pictures to be taken. Mennonite (sp?) sects are more lenient on most of these issues.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My grandmother used to take me to A Quaker Church And My Aunt and Uncle are Quakers. They are very traditional in the roles of men and women. They do use all modern conveniences. They don't have services they have meetings. At the meeting they all sit. Someone will read from scriptures. They then kneel backwards at the pew and pray. No organization there people just say what they want to pray about out loud. Then People will say what they feel the Scripture was about. You would think it would be chaos, but it's not. They let the Holy Spirit guide them or Quake within them telling them to speak. They are quite peaceful also.

daps

Answer by daps at 5:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Quakers are really pretty congregational--there are four "branches"...more religiously liberal Quakers actually include non-Christians, but Quakers as a whole believe in the concepts of the Inner Light and the Peace Testimony (though how they express it may vary) and their worship is generally charachterized by being unprogrammed.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• (cont)

In contrast to the Amish, Quakers are fine with modern tech, and most that I've met (we are considering sending the kids to a Friend's School) are Liberal Quakers, and are really quite similar to UU in terms of concerns with social justice, equal rights, and environmental issues.

The Amish on the other hand, are "descended" religiously from the Anabaptist movement, which arose in the 1500's (Quakers in the 1600's). They are pretty conservative, patriarchal, and believe in maintaining as separate of an existence from outside society as possible...their actions are dictated by a list of rules called the Ordnung, which maintians that separatness by encouraging the different dress, etc.  Their use of technology varies depending on what type of Amish they are (like the Quakers there are 4 groups).

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Ah, I forgot...another similarity that some people may find is that some (but not all) Quakers may still practice "Plain Dress", which was historically similar to that of the Amish and Mennonites.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• ive seen amish family driving cars but still wear thier traditonal clothing and are nice people
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I agree with thalassa;

tinamarie Amish will drive other peoples cars they just don't own any of their own
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2011