*to breastfeeding moms*

Do you keep a special Diet while BF...I just gave birth May 30,2011 and Im also BF and I want to go down to my pre pregnancy weight but will it hurt my milk production? Thank yhu!

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 4:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Special diet like what?

You'll most likely lose weight quickly if you're breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• Nope. I ate what I wanted when I wanted and lost 20 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight within 6 months.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• If you eat right (plenty of veggies, fruit, whole grains, and lean meats) with daily walks the weight should come off. It's important to establish healthy eating habits now while you're still breastfeeding because when your child no longer breastfeeds the weight won't come off so easy. You also want to establish good eating habits for your child. Try making "healthy" alternatives to what your family already eats. Whole grain pasta for certain dishes (lasagna, spaghetti, pasta salad) and low fat sauces and dressings. I was well over 200 lbs. when preggers and I lost 50 lbs by the time my kid was 9 months. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and yes dropping your calories too low could hurt milk production. Weight watchers has a program for bfing moms with extra calories allowed.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I asked a lactation consultant and she gave me some guide lines to keep my milk production up. They are your best source.
    Raey84

Answer by Raey84 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i eat 1800cal/day (not empty calories - the good kind) and take a prenatal as directed by my midwife. i'm not trying to watch my weight, i'm just not hungry enough to eat 2500.
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 4:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would not put yourself on a strict diet while nursing. It just isn't necessary. They say you burn up to 600 calories a day nursing. I would focus on getting some exercise and eating enough good, nutritious food. Fat is important while you nurse, so remember that...just don't go overboard and you should lose weight just fine.

With my first, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within a couple months of nursing. With my second, I was underweight by the time I stopped nursing at 16 months, and I gave birth less than 2 weeks ago and have already lost 30lbs (with unfortunately a lot more to go)...I expect to be back to my prepregnancy weight within 6 months at the latest...probably closer to 3 or 4 months.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I try to limit myself to 1900cals a day, but end up near 2100 most of the time. BFing burns 400-600 extra calories a day, so as long as you eat healthy you will lose the weight quickly. Burning all those extra calories can cause extra cravings though, so beware.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• If you just eat healthy then you should be fine- three meals a day, a snack or two, even a low cal dessert, just make sure you are eating plenty of protein, lots of fruits and vegetables, and healthy carbs, and then drink plenty of water and you should be fine. I didn't lose any weight while breastfeeding aside from what I initially lost in the first week or so after delivery, and it was really disappointing, but I also know I was not eating as well as I should have been. Also, once you get the ok to get back to exercise that can help you lose the extra weight, too. Just remember that it took you nine months to gain that weight and your body needs a bit of time to recover from everything, so don't expect it all to fall off instantly, but if you do the right things your weight will go down over time. You just can't crash diet or expect to lose ten pounds in a month and still be healthy and making milk. Good luck and congrats!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would suggest eating healthier. I lost weight just by breast feeding alone.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 5:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011