Warming bottles

When my son was a baby we never warmed his bottles. We always mixed as we went and used room temp water. I always wondered why peopple thought it was necessary to heat them. Do you heat all your baby's bottles?

chelley123

Asked by chelley123 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, for about the first year we would set the bottle in a cup of hot water and warm it up for him. Breast milk that had been pumped because it was usually cold from the fridge, and often room temp formula too... I guess the idea behind it is if the baby was getting breast milk it would be warm. Now that he is 13 mos. we don't warm the milk anymore.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 4:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Breast milk or formula stored in the fridge I totally understand. Just never got why it had to be hot instead of room temp. I for one like my milk ice cold LOL
    chelley123

Comment by chelley123 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• only at the very beginning-- DD was a tiny baby and it was a very cold winter. once it warmed up, I didn't heat the bottles any more.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I warmed his milk most of the time. I also nursed (partly, had to supplement form.) so it was cold from the fridge. A few times we were out and about and nowhere to heat and he took it just fine. He is 10 1/2 months old now and I only fully warm his night time bottle so he'll sleep better. He's never had a problem with cold/lukewarm bottles though.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• When I would babysit and she wouldnt finish her bottle I would put it in the fridge so i would have to heat it up again to feed her the rest. Also if you pump and save it in the fridge then you would have to warm it up as well.

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 4:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i ever warmed both of my kids bottle,they never knew the diffence..
    twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I made sure to have enough water bottles to make room temp formula. The only time I had to heat a bottle was the maybe 4 times that he didn't finish it and I put it in the fridge for later.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my kids are all grown up now, but i've have always warm up the bottle, what i use to do was, prepare the formula, weather it was liquid or powder, get the hot water from the faucet put some in a cup then put the bottle in the cup with the hot water, wait for a bit, check if the milk was warm, then if so, its party time (feeding time) lol! the milk is not to cold and not to hot, its just right temp..... hope that helps.
    grandma-lety

Answer by grandma-lety at 5:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It should be at least room temp. Anything colder can hurt their stomachs as small babies. Warm is best because it is the most natural, since milk comes from the breast warm. Formula should be warm for digestion purposes and because it is the way nature intended.
    Anonymous