Why do painters wear white?

My neighbors recently had their house painted and all the painters were wearing white. I don't believe it was just this particular company's policy as I had a friend also work as a painter and she had to wear white too. Why wear white when you get paint slopped all over you all the time?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Traditionally, most paint used by house painters was some shade of white. The wearing of white is simply because it does not contrast and show up the paint drops and splatters that are part of the days work. Blue Jean painters look pretty sloppy after a few days of painting, and less likely to be hired.

http://painterforum.com/white.html

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• do they paint white more often than any other color? or maybe its just fun it have a set of coveralls that are multi-colored...id like that!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I asked the same question to my husband, who is a painter. He doesn't know either. He just said "thats the way painter's pants come" LOL.
    Anonymous

• idk.. we use to have white suits at where I worked but they were disposable cover alls. Maybe they started off that way, and some companies just thought it look more professional?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i think it's the clients that respond to the white clothes. they assume your more professional when you where the expected attire
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 1:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• interesting...i've wondered that too. i suppose it's what they started out wearing a long time ago, so they keep it that way so people will know and recognise? maybe just like a bunch of mechanics usually wear a dark blue jump suit... they color code them? lol. my uncle was a painter when i was little. he wore white too.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 4:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011