I feel like I'm losing control!!!

My 3 year old does not listen. The other day I was at the doctors office and we were sitting in the waiting room and she decides that she doesn't want to sit next to me she wants to sit around the corner in one of the chairs well I had my baby with so I wouldn't let her sit there. We are sitting and she is having a few m&m's so once they are done she then runs to the other side and wants to try and kill a fly. I pick her up and calmly walk her over to where I'm sitting. We finally get called into the room and she was pretty good once we were in there but as soon as I opened the door to leave the room she takes off running. She leaves the doctors office waiting room turns the corner and takes off down the hall. I had to leave the stroller where it was and run after her. She then proceeds to let out a loud screach which she knows drives us nuts.

I'm checking out and the entire time she is talking over the receptionist which was pissing me off so much. We got into the car and I flipped. I told her she needs to spend the rest of the day in her room and when daddy comes home she needs to tell him what she did and then she can eat dinner then must go back to her room.

The next day we went for a walk around the development. She kept running ahead of me when we are near the road, or she would stop in the middle of the sidewalk and say I'm staying here. I don't want to walk anymore. I seriously don't know how to get her to behave when we are out in public or even at home. Please help.

Oh and telling her that if she is good while we are there she will get something (ex. park, ice cream, etc.) doesn't work. On our way to the dr. I told her she will get to go to the park if she is good and she was so bad it was embarrassing.

Advice please!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol.. the reason i am laughin is cause my almost 3 yr old does this.. you know what i do?? i carry a spatuala around with me and as soon as i grab that, she sits and does not move... dont let her get to you. the more she sees that "shes in control" the more she will do it.. my 15 yr old was the same way.
    another thing.. when u are at home or some where were noone can see you, do what she does.. if she throws a fit, throw one right back. i do that to my 3 yr old and she looks at me like.. ummm are you ok.. lol
    hope this helps..
    i got a very sweet comment from a lady at the store the other day. she came up to me and asked how or what do u do to get your lil girl to be so still during shopping.. i showed her my spatula.. lol she said i have to tell my daughter bout that cause her daughters child is starting to do the same thing.
    i think its a 3 yr old thing..
    bamamaof4

Answer by bamamaof4 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I throw the fit with her.. when were at home.. she likes to scream i screaam too.. and she looks at me all werid and then laughs.. we have a strick time out place.. she hates it.. and we start to take things away.. no tv time.. and no toys.. soon she starts to listen.. she doesnt like to listen to me when were out.. when we get to the car she books it.. ( not in parking lots) but at my moms subdivision we play the fine were leaving trick.. pretend were leaving close her door and start to get in.. she doesnt like that..
    Madilous08

Answer by Madilous08 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Today we went to the park and she was extremly good. Today in general has been an all around better day. I think I may have to try the spatula thing out. It just might work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Quick question have you ever used it on her just once to show her or did you just threaten her with it and it worked.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Children misbehave for 3 reasons. They have a need that isn't being met, they don't understand the rule, or they are overstressed. Find the root cause, and you'll know how to fix the problem. This sounds like your child is acting out to get your attention. She might feel unloved or displaced. How old is the baby? Maybe this is just sibling rivalry. Stop using rewards or punishments. Neither works well for long. For more info on that, read "The Happy Child Guild" available online. Try these ideas:
    1) count how many hours of sleep she gets. Is it enough? Most children are overstimulated and overtired. She needs 12-14 hours of sleep each day- about 11 - 12 hours at night and a 2 hr nap. More sleep will do wonders for her disposition.
    2) find some Mommy Time to spend with just her.
    3) change her diet and eliminate all sugar and processed foods, which can cause behavior problems.
    4) provide more exercise daily
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thanks for your advice! I'll try them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2011