What income group pays the most federal income taxes today?

Is it true that over 50% of Americans don't pay federal income taxes?

Is it true the ones who do pay taxes are taxed at a rate between 25-40%?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Actually I think it's 46% that pay no income tax. Federal taxes aren't as high as 40%, I think it's 35% for the top wage earners, but if you add in state and local taxes, you'll be close if not more than 40%.

Here is a great chart I found. It breaks down the income groups, how many in each group by filing and what that group paid. The middle class pays the most in because there are many more in that income group. They don't pay a higher % of their income but as a group there are more filers.

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/04/12/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• good reply DSamuels.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Just how much tax do you think a single mom of 2 making $25,000 should pay?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

Don't know who you are asking. According to my chart, anyone earning less than $33K pays about 2.59%. But with EIC and credits most get back far more than is withheld from their paychecks. In some cases thousands more, so essentially they don't pay a dime already.

I'm about to the point where I say that whatever is withheld from you paycheck is your tax. You don't get anything back at the end of the year and no need to file a return. It would make things a lot simpler!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hypothetical or actual dollars paid? I do believe there is one poster here who claims she never pays more than 10%. I can only say what we pay, and it's on the higher end, far more than 10%...we are part of that non entitled middle group-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Kudos to great answers from DSamuels...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• – collapse
    The tax system is regressive - meaning the least that can afford it, pay the most.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• The tax system is regressive - meaning the least that can afford it, pay the most.

Where do you get that from? Nearly 46 percent pay no taxes or what they pay in they get back and then some. They don't contribute so they don't care how the money is spent which is part of the problem with our country now. The top 10 percent pay most of the taxes collected and are demonized for not paying 100 percent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think we ALL pay too damn much in taxes. Income tax should be banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's MY hard earned money, and the government takes so much of it away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• The answer to your questions are available online everywhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2011