Are you a thrift fashionista???

Do you like to make things like clothing, home decor or anything else out of used items, like old clothes or clothes that are too small? What techniques do you use and do you make up your own designs or look for and use somebody else's patterns and ideas?
Have you ever managed to sell any of your creations for incredibly high prices?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 5:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I make jewelry from home and sometimes take old vintage jewelry that has fallen apart and recreate it to be vintage/retro/new. My patterns are original, but my techniques can be easily learned with practice.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 5:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I make A LOT of my clothes and jewelry! I also sell what I make on the side, so that is fun! Some of my techniques is reconstructing old t-shirts into tank tops or turning old jeans into shorts. I also have a body form so I sometimes do draping techniques on that to make clothes from scratch! Sewing is really simple, you just kind of have to step outside the box. I also make A LOT of jewelry!! That is my best seller and my prized products. I wire wrap a lot of my jewelry... some hand stamping too! Fun :)

sewing

cheapsally

Answer by cheapsally at 5:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• sewing

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I love to do all the stuff, too, it's seriously unbelievable what you can do with discarded stuff, cut up, ribbed t shirts are huge these days, and tie dyed one especially rock. I so love you Girls for being able to relate, I just burst with ideas, and have always know how to do things, sewing, crochet, knitting, recently polymer clay, jewelry, including the items from old broken stuff, glass gems, tempered glass mosaics, what is stopping me is having to take care of my adhd son and myself, also adhd and bipolar, which can be a real b...h a lot.
    Smooches to you All. Can you post any pics or have links to flickr?
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I make hair accessories.. nope not ridiculous prices
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I totally agree that we cannot get the right prices for all the work we put inot those things. You have to establish yourself as an outrageous, talented and whatever artis to get paid just for the heck of it, because someone thinks that this is so unique it's worth it.
    I see a lot of items like this on line, but also, you need to put many pretty expensive materials in them to get the right price, for example, a very unique, natural wool.
    I treat my creating as a theraphy, and I often give them to Friends as gifts.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• no but a friend of mine does so I help her alot
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I will repair clothing I find at the thrift shops, reinforce buttons or beads, but I don't resell them.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011