What's the funniest thing that ever happened at your church?

Yes, crazy things can happen at church. My dad is a retired minister so this is not meant as a disrespectful question.

jmpj8107

Asked by jmpj8107 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My cousin's cell phone began to play music during Mass. He was rather embarrassed.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• lol thats the same here except my uncles phone went off and his wife was sick at home and we were at the end of church getting dismissed and praying when you hear " hey your crazy bi**h but you f*** so good im on top of it ... lol so on and he dropped it trying to get it turned off and muted and it slid under the bench to my grams isle aka his MIL she was horrified!! i dont think i have ever seen so many ppl diving for a phone so quietly! lol but i have to say i even seen a smirk on the preachers face!!!:)))
    amberpowell

Answer by amberpowell at 6:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• When we were having communion & everyone was stood at the front (really quietly) listening to our pastor, our pastor said 'And Jesus took up the cup . . .' & before he could say anything else, our daughter shouted (like she was really shocked), 'MOMMY, MOMMY, JESUS TOOK THE CUP!!'
    Luckily our church is very family orientated & everyone giggled (even our pastor) - just goes to show that kids many seem like they're not listening but they really are!!lol
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i went to catholic school 1-8
    in fourth grade we changed format for accepting communion
    was, knee at alter and the priest will placeon your tongue
    then it was to be, walk up, say your thing, with hands placed in a cup like position, he places in your hands, you do sign of the cross

well, we were little and we practiced this in class
    fisr time up there, i remembered all the steps
    BUT
    when i went to sign of the cros on myself, i must have been a bit too excited and over extended my signing of the cross, my hand motion knocked the cup with the hosts out of the hand of the nun, and it flew across the church, onto the floor ( a very loud crash on the very hard marble floor- wow it really was loud)
    you should have seen the look on the nuns face, i think she killed me a hundred times in a few moments, i started to bend down to help clean up - but oops, a regular person can not touch Jesus hosts even if she spilled them all
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• A few years ago I was at my parents church for their Easter service. Just as the preacher was really getting into preaching about the resurrection, my mom's phone goes off playing "Hallelujah!" really loud. The preacher stopped for a second kind of confused as my mom dived for her purse. Then he goes "Darn tootin'!" and proceeded to finish the message as if nothing had happened LOL.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Back around Christmas, I think (Christmas Eve service, I believe), one of our choir members was singing a solo, and her young child (younger than my 3 year old) was in the front row and started crying, saying "mommy!", and my son looked at him (we were sitting in the row behind his, and a little to the side of him) and said "what's wrong baby?", and everyone thought it was so cute...

We have funny stuff happen a lot, though, but it's hard to remember, since I don't go to church that much anymore.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I think Jesus had a sense of humor, so He must laugh at some of the stuff that goes on in churches. We had a guest speaker a while back, and while making a point, he hit the podium. My son yelled and everyone started laughing!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• A baby on the balcony threw down a sippy cup, and hit my husband on the head.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• most recent 'funny' that i recall..
    pastor just took his place and began to say a few words when he realized his mic wasn't transmitting (i guess that's the term..) through the speaker system, therefore couldn't be heard. as he turned around, towards the choir, and lifted his robe to check his 'on/off' switch, he said, ''excuse me, while i turn myself on.''
    lol..from the audience (and probably the choir's viewpoint), all you could see was him struggling underneath his robe, somewhere around the front of his waist. LMBO!!

ah..it was funny at the time...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• nothing funny has not yet happened at my church
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2011