1/2 birthday party...Have you do this or know someone who has?

My DD's bday is in January.. and because of the winters.. we have around here.. I want to make sure she gets to have bday parties.. So I want to celebrate her birthday in the summer with a BBQ and stuff and continue this tradition every year..

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 5:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Lol, my family has always done half birthdays. My DH thought we were crazy when he first joined the fam but now he likes it!! :D

We do a fun family dinner with cupcakes rather than a cake and usually a card with a little money in it rather than a gift. As kids ... we loved it. Now it seems kind of silly, but it's tradition and we (all of us 6 kids over the age of 20) still do celebrate everyone's half birthdays. And besides, who doesn't like getting a little extra cash on the side?
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 6:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My boys' birthdays are 6 months apart from each other so I always get the one who is not having a party a little gift too and say it's their half birthday. I also have a friend who buys her kids a small half bday gift...but no party. I had never heard about half bdays until she told me about it...says her family has always done it. You could just do a little gift on the actual bday and have some close fam or friends over for dinner then you can have the bigger party be in the summer.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• YEah but I wouldn't do it myself. Almost doesn't count for me. The full year counts.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would still celebrate it in January though.. I was thinking of making it our little tradition ...then on her actual birthday I would take her some place special :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011