But what about vaccines? help!!

I am wondering about vaccines, because I am now hearing terrible things about them! Like they can cause autism, etc...
My son is 3 months old and has had his usuall vaccines already...but I'm worried...
I watched the news last night, and they had a segment about vaccines. But one woman made a good point. Her nephew didn't get his measles shots (MMR), contracted the illness at a birthday party, and died of complications!!! I know thats one case, but I'm sooooo confused!! Anyone have advice? Any advice, please!:)

odinsmom19

Asked by odinsmom19 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is no proof they cause autism. Just a study that has yet to be proven.
    Parents are like "why vaccinate them, there's no problem with these diseases." That's because of vaccines!!

I believe to always vaccinate, if your child has a reaction to one, THEN don't give them anymore, not a risk to take. But it's not a risk to have a sick child just because of what everyone else says, either, right?

Good luck momma.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• they dont cause autisim ... parents are just lookin for sumthin to blame -- IN MY OPINION ... i was vaccinated and im fine ... i did miss one vaccine and couldnt start school and got REALLY sick later on bc of not having it ... and than i got it , and got into school and i was fine ... but the shit about autisim is just retarded , if it caused autisim we'd all be like that ... not just certain kids .... parents and dr's just need to stop worrying people
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i was listening to the show doctors and one doctor said he wants people to put it off for 6 months to a year... because you see signs of autism any where from a year - 3 years of age. now the other doctor said no don't put it off there is not 100% proof that shots are the reason kids get it. now a couple was on and had 4 kids w/ autism one didn't get any shots and still had it. so they think it could be genetic, they thing is we don't know what causes it yet and shots are proven to work. the 3rd Dr. said if your family has neurologic problems and autism in your family he wouldn't recommend getting shots... but if not then defiantly get them.  hope this helps. look stuff up. and ask your Dr to put off the mmr until your child is at least 18 months.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 10:54 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It's not the vaccine, it's the additives. Request a single dose vial be used. The large bottles save the doctors money, doesn't save you money. The larger bottles have preservatives and that's what the problem is. I would continue to vaccinate, because the USA is so lax on regulating immigrants and illegals, and they are bringing in disease that your child will come in contact with.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I don't vaccinate and I'm not worried about autism. It's the other things in the vaccines that stop me from giving them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• ok, this is only my opinion.. but it is from what I have seen in dealing with a few different families who have autistic children and many families that don't. I don't think there is much of a relation to the vaccines being a cause of autism. it is my theory (and its a theory, untested, unproven, just my observations) that genetics cause autism, and that vaccines can be an inducer in the case where the genetics already provide a prevalence for autism. I believe this because of the family that I work for. the first two children were vaccinated on a regular schedule, and both have mild to moderate autistic development. The last 3 children were selectively vaccinated and had vaccinations delayed, and they are all free of autistic symptoms.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• This is something that I have seen in a couple of different instances, and I have theorized about it. However there is no proof of this or any other link between vaccinations and autism. What I would tell you is that you should vaccinate regularly, or put it on a slow vaccination schedule, where maybe you wait twice as long to do booster shots. My employer does this with her 6 year old, 4 year old and 3 year old and they are all healthy (well the 4 year old has problems too but they are unrelated to autism) and will be able to start school on time (the 6 year old is in school sorry)
    kristal2146

• There is no proof that the vaccines can cause Autism. Like the pp I think that they may be an inducer for families that have neurological problems. I would ask a lot of questions, but I believe in vaccinations wholeheartedly, and my SO and I battle about which ones to give at each of our DD checkups. Good luck and do some research, just not to much, or you may want to shoot yourself after getting to much info.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I reccommend that you research each individual vaccine and the illness that it is for. Determine which has greater risks/benefits and decide accordingly on a case-by-case basis. Also look into delaying vaccinations.

The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears is a great starting point.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I've worked with children and adults that have Autism. I've done a lot of research and I've had to take lots of classes. I am by far NOT an expert but I don't believe Vaccines are the cause of Autism. We are vaccinating our baby but we don't go by the recommended schedule. We spacing them out, because i believe that having that many chemical introduced into such a little body can't be good. Talk to your doctor and come up with a plan that works for you and your family.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2008