big babies?

I'm 31 weeks and the u/s shows our little man already weighing 5 pounds, he messures that of a 34 1/2 week gestation. They said the dates are not wrong he is just big. Has anyone else had a big baby & what was the delivery weight? Did you deliver early?

gerti

Asked by gerti at 10:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If you have a large baby by 38 weeks (here that's when they do the fetal weight check) they usually induce anyway to try to keep from having a c-section. BUT, their weight can also slow down. Olivia was measuring big all the way up until last week, she was right where she should be. And those are just guestamates. they can be off by up to more than a pound.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my babies were six and seven pound babies so i can't help you and it is possible they have the date wrong nothing is exact
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My son was a big boy- he weighed 9.6lbs and was 22 inches long. He was 10 days late! Apparently my family makes big babies because my sister's daughter was 9.6 (and a half) lbs- we both had them by c-section. My daughter was smaller at 8.4lbs. Hope your little man is on time. :)
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My DD was big in the womb like that. Infact we were induced 2 weeks before her Due Date. She weighed 8lbs and 10oz. she was a plump big baby! She wasnt wrinkly at all and she had a double chin!
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 10:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• There measurments are not always accurate they said my son was over 5 lbs at 31 weeks and when he was born at 36 weeks he he only weighed 5lbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My son was 10 pounds, 23 inches long. The ultrasound showed his birth date to be December 7th and he made his appearance on January 21st. Very healthy, but came out eating a pork chop. haha
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My son was 9 lbs 6 1/2 oz. At his ultrasound they said he would be 8 lbs. He was a big boy, no fat just big and lean. I was two weeks late and ended up being induced. In the end his head was too big and I had to have a c section. But he comes from a family of big heads so I wouldn't worry about that. I have two cousins that had 10 lb babies and delivered vaginally and had healthy babies. My son was very healthy when he was finally born and he has been big and happy ever since. I love having a big boy! I thought i'd have a peanut because I am very petite, but nope I got a monster and I love him!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I didn't have an ultrasound towards the end. I was HUGE and I thought I was having a big baby but my doc didn't seem concerned (she had never met my met my husband who is 6'7"...I am only 5'2"). I went into labor 18 days early and had an 8lb 2 3/4oz baby girl! she was so chubby she couldn't open her eyes very big! My doc told me that next time we have to monitor the pregnancy at the end and I will have to be induced once its safe before the baby gets too big or I will have to have a c-section! Good Luck! Congrats on the baby...he is almost here!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 2:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I am due on 2/9/09 with our 3rd girl. My oldest (age 8 was 3 days overdue) weighed 8lb. 5.oz., my youngest (age 5 was induced at 5 days overdue) weighed 9lb. 14 oz. This time my OB agreed to induce me at 39 weeks (if I haven't gone into labor before then) as long as I'm dilated to at least 3 cm. I am trying to avoid having another humongous baby! I am not a big girl either. I'm 5'4", normally weight 135 and wear a size 6/8.
    missakatude

Answer by missakatude at 9:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2008