What is Your IDEAL MIL situation?

What is your ideal relationship with your MIL?

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 6:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• Not gonna lie, I have a great relationship with my MIL. I wouldn't change it for the world.

BUT ... IT TOOK WORK. It did not start out pretty and almost ended in her not coming to our wedding. It was terrible for a while but DH and I just made a decision from the beginning we were going to take the high road and continually treat her with respect, honor and as much kindness as we could muster.

IT WORKED. Now our relationship is AMAZING. I love her, she loves me and I could not have asked for a better MIL. And because she is so embarrassed at how she treated me for the first couple years ... she is so careful to make sure that she defers to me in all family matters regarding my family. She is just happy that we still like her and DH still wants to be part of the family and that she gets to see the grandbabies .... Now that is a powerful tool.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 6:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have it. She is not in our lives at all. I also have the best ex inlaws ever. They are like my mom and dad. Love them... so does my husband....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I dont see them. Works just fine!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Is having a different MIL entirely an option? LOL!

My ideal relationship with the MIL I have is as minimal as possible. Even dh states she was a lousy mom, she treats me like an outsider because of my ethnicity, she plays favourites with her kids, with my kids, and insists that every mom/grandma likes some kids more and if the least-favourite want to make a fuss about it, that just shows why mom doesn't like them as much! So yeah, as minimal as possible would be my ideal!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Honestly, for my MIL to live on the other side of the country from us, or possibly another planet. I would be oh-so-happy to never see her again.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• an ideal relationship with the MIL is to let her know who's the boss of your house from the start (in a heavenly way :) . you are in charge of making your man happy. don't ever start out by letting them give suggestions. CHARGE IT TO THE HEART!!!!
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 7:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i already do I dont associate with her and if she was on fire i wouldnt spit on her to put her out!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have it. My MIL and FIL are wonderful grandparents and treat me like I'm a princess. They accept my son from a previous relationship as thier on grandson, doting on him as much as the others. She sewed me maternity dresses, and when we decided on a round crib. She hand made the matteress and sheets. She does not butt in on decisions we make, but when we run into a rough month, they will help with groceries.
    Don't be a hater :)
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2011