Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Where can I get help?

I have never been in a situation like I am now meaning since I was old enough to work I have always had a job and was either able to pay to see a doctor or had insurance to pay for the doctor. Well I have been a stay at home mom now for a little over a year and because me and SO are not married his insurance company will not cover me. I was diagnosed several years ago as manic depressive/bipolar I have not had meds in over two and a half years but I feel myself slipping further and further away. My last relationship ended because he tried putting me through a wall and with this relationship I find when I get frustrated with SO I try to take it out on him physically I know this is wrong and I want help I just can not afford it we are barely getting the bills paid and food on the table. Where can I get free mental help? I am in GA.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Do a google search for "______(Your county)______ Behavioral Health". If nothing comes up, try "_______(Your county)_____ public health".

    Call any of the numbers you find, and they can direct you to the right department. Most counties have a psych clinic. You may have to wait a while to be seen, but you usually can be seen wither for free or for an extremely reduced rate . . without having to be on mediCaid. They shoulkd be able to eval you and write a script for your meds.

    Another, last resort option. Go to your local public (county) emergency room. They can eval you there and give you a script. Although, obviously, it is just much better to go through the less emergent channels.

    Kudos to you for being able to monitor yourself, and know when it is time for support. You are awesome!

    Feel free to backchannel me if you have any problems finding resources .. . . I can help research from this end, too.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • I am not sure about GA, but the mental health dept in our County helps people who do not have insurance or limited to no income.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • Can you apply for medicaid?

    Answer by RedDahlia82 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • right medicaid

    Answer by KColeman90 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • They only give medicaid to ppl here if they are a minor or preggers and I am neither. I will definitely check my local mental health dept I want and need the help.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • I know there are free health clinics all over the place and you can also get the government to help you. Try this website:

    Answer by Gingerwheel at 6:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • Try calling 211 on your phone. This should be free, and they will put you in touch with information and referral sources for your problem in your area. It should be 24/7. If the service is available, you can see if it is by going to:


    Answer by dwmom2008 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • file for disablity and you can be insured though the state!

    Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • applie for title 19 medical care or wic

    Answer by sassy21176 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011