A three year old and ADHD

So my son is ADHD and i guess im just wanting to know what do other moms do to help their kids and ADHD? My son is all over the place and it's going to drive me crazy, i need some advice on things to do with him, help him concentrate, helping him sleep better medicines, IDK anything at this point....

Isaiahs_m0mmie

Asked by Isaiahs_m0mmie at 6:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Was he actually diagnosed? Usually, practitioners will say that age 3 is way too early for accurate diagnosis, as most toddlers are extremely energetic, forgetfull, and have short attention spans.

I would not worry about ADHD type stuff until your child is in a classroom and is demonstrating an inability to learn in that setting. Until then, the chances of a false diagnosis are just too high.

Funny as it may sound, not enough sleep and diet can really contribute to a toddler spinning episode. So, make sure that your son has an early and consistent bedtime, as well as minimal processed sugar. Also, quiet, wind-down times can really help the little guy re-center.

I would steer clear of meds and herbs. Purity is not well regulated in the states, and many herbals have been found to have lead and other such impurities in them.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My son has autism. Almost alike. So I would maybe go towards that direction. Early intervention is key to sucess. Actually mine is all over the place right now as I write this. Plz avoid meds. They do more damage then good. At night I use music to help him sleep. We like oriental music. Were christian so we also use worship music. Try it. And let us know we r here to help.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 6:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Well he just had his three year old check up in April, and i am always bringing this up to his doctor because ADD does run in my family (my brother didn't find out he was ADD until he went to the military 4 years ago.) But like his doctor always says he isn't concerned about him being ADHD but more concerned about my sons impulsive actions. And we are waiting to go to a specialist for that... My son was born 9 weeks early, so he is bound to have other issues later on. And i know that a lot of things will not appear until he is in that classroom setting. He eats pretty well, i always make him food he likes and will eat like any other kid he is pretty picky butt he loves fruits & veggies :) he is three and weighs about 31 lbs (still under weight) as he has been since he was born.. he weighed 2.8lbs at birth....I dont want to put him on the medication for adhd as i have heard that's not go to do...
    Isaiahs_m0mmie

Comment by Isaiahs_m0mmie (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I am not a big fan of medicines, but I do know of this homeopathic medicine that worked wonders for my girlfriend who has a ADHD daughter who is also 3 years old. Its called "BrightSpark". You can google it and it comes right up. Its rated very well.
    Additional to that, make out a routine that that spreads out lots of activities throughout the day. For example, a 30 minute brisk morning walk, an afternoon at the park and an evening taek won do class. Do the taek won do class late in the day so he can be tired enough to learn the discipline.
    Also, create a quiet space for him to teach him how to quiet himself. This may take years just so you know. Start with 5 minutes of him reading a book with no talking then add on another 5 minutes every week until you reach 30 minutes. This cannot be the same space as a time out if you do that.

Update us, ok? :)
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 7:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• He is WAY too young to be diagnosed with ADHD and if a doctor does, I would be finding another doctor. There is NO doctor or mental health professional in my city that will diagnosis a child before the age of 5.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We saw a developmental pediatrician last May, when Evan was 4 and even he was hesitant to diagnose him with ADHD at that point. He spent 3 and a half hours with us and did a lot of tests (nothing invasive, all cognitive). He couldn't get a read on his attention span because he doesn't have one. He still wouldn't give us a firm diagnosis because of his age. He turned 5 in April and we do have the diagnosis now. I wouldn't have accepted a firm diagnosis at 3. He has a behavior specialist, TSS, and mobile therapy. No medication. I'm not against it, but I think he's too young. Maybe we'll revisit that in a few years. I know how you feel, it can be exhausting. Look into early intervention.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• @Taratenee my son also go to a developmental center and they also have seen the beginning of add or adhd, however just like i already know they want to wait until he is in a school environment to see what his teachers have to say and all that good stuff, his physcial therapist has also said something about him being ADHD. I think he is too young im just wanting more ideas to do with him that he can have a positive out put for this crazy energy out, and ways to get him to focus. I dont want to put him on medicine, just something to get him to focus, listen, and over all just calming down.
    Isaiahs_m0mmie

Comment by Isaiahs_m0mmie (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• he's 3. he's supposed to by hyper & inattentive. Eliminate caffeine, HFCS, & all artificials from his diet. No excess sugars including fruit juice. Feed him whole foods, no processed convenience foods. You'll start to see a difference.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011