Do you think I suffered a miscarriage?

Hi everyone! I have a question only women/moms would probably be able to understand. To start, I'm 24 and newly-married (though we've been together for several years), and not yet trying to conceive. (Frankly we can't wait to have kids, but our financial situation isn't where we want it to be yet.) I've been taking Seasonique since March (due to me expecting my period for our wedding/honeymoon in April! LOL), and just got my "scheduled" period this week for the first time since being on the pill. Here's my problem..

This cycle started, maybe on Tuesday, and I had mild cramping (as per usual; I've always had cramps during my period, sometimes bad but not tooooo awful), and some cramping today as well. YESTERDAY, though.. holy shit!!! I had the worst cramps I've ever had in my entire life. I woke up around 5:45-6am, and within the next hour had taken 2 Motrins and 2 Aleves (not all at once--the pain was horrendous and I was desperate), which took nearly 2 hours to start kickin in. I was literally sitting on my couch in so much pain that I couldn't even get dressed for work until the pain started to die down..

These cramps were very painful and a little scary--despite the fact that I'm very very petite and highly doubt I would not know I'm pregnant (cuz I'm not sure where in this tiny body I could hide a baby! lol), I genuinely was afraid I was in labor for awhile there. I was getting what felt like contractions (I've never been pregnant or given birth, so I'm only imagining what that would feel like but yes, they were that bad!!) every 5 minutes or so. After about a minute or so, they would subside and then a few minutes later, start again..

Ok now this part is gunna sound gross, and I apologize in advance.. but I feel asleep last night without changing my pad! (I hadn't needed to change earlier because the bleeding seemed light at the time.) When I changed it today, I noticed a HUGE clot in there. Normally I'm used to seeing tiny, red clots, as is normal during menstruation; but this was maybe like 2 inches long and an inch wide? It was huge to me, and seemed almost tan-ish/brown-ish/red-ish in color. I freaked out, and remembered the intense, contraction-like pain I had yesterday, and wondered if I'd miscarried without ever knowing I was pregnant. Since I was on Seasonique, I was expecting missed periods. After seeing this, I immediately took a home pregnancy test which came out negative.

To make a very long story short.. I started googling what it could be, and while I also came across endometriosis and fibroids, I don't know if that exactly fits (especially since I haven't had excessive bleeding). Have any of you out there experienced this, or had miscarriages before? I plan on making a gyno appointment to make sure nothing else is wrong, but in the meantime.. I just wanted some advice from some people who may have been there. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this.. I'm a little nervous right now. ):

mrsashleynicole

Asked by mrsashleynicole at 6:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am sorry you have gone through that, and I am glad you are seeing the doc. Any time you pass a large clot or piece of tissue, your body can have very painful contracting and pain, while the uterus works really hard to expell it through a closed cervix. then, the pain will subside when it has passed.

I hope the doc has more answers for you . . . probably a blood test would be more accurate to see if it was a pregnancy.

Good luck!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It is hard to tell I would lean towards the fact that you are taking a new birth control and the change in your hormones and period in the meantime.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Thanks everyone (: I know the body is used to expelling the uterine lining every month, so now I'm wondering if I just had a large clot on account of all that buildup for 3 months.. which seems more logical now that I think of it. Unless I'm just playing doctor because I really have no idea lol
    mrsashleynicole

Comment by mrsashleynicole (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Although I also wonder.. if it was just lining, etc., would it always be a reddish color? This waws alot more tan/brown, which is part of why I was so afraid of a miscarriage..
    mrsashleynicole

Comment by mrsashleynicole (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Saesonique causes you to only have your period 4 times a year. There's going to be more for the uterus to dispose of than a monthly period. Unfortunately those 4 periods instead of 12 don't always feel so good hun. Good luck.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• im not on the same bc but wheni first started min i started bleeding two weeks in heavily, I ended up bleedign for two weeks and made a trip to the ER because i was bleeding horribly, changing a tampond and pad every hour and a half. the cramps felt like contraction as well (i have given birth). umm they cleaned my cervix off because i was having alot of tissue and that helped me alot with the cramps. and the bleed was from my uterin lining just getting out all the crap that had been building up for so long. i hope i helped but i will tell you make an apt as well just to make sure
    Kambrosino07

Answer by Kambrosino07 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011