What time does your toddler go to bed? And how do I get her to bed without screaming and crying?

We just moved into our new home and it's been a hassle getting my toddler to sleep by her self. So far I just put her in the bed at 8:30 and read to her until she sleeps. I do prayer with her, and tell her everything will be okay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi there!!!!

A routine like you have mentioned is very good!!!

The body naturally create melatonin around 9pm in most people. For some reason people become very tired around the times 6-9pm and if we stay awake past the hour that melatonin comes in our bodies can get a second wind.

I would start winding her down very early like 6pm with a bedtime routine. (Bath, Book, Soothing Lullaby, Etc.) Keep the lights and noise very dim in your household until she creates the natural habit of bed at 8:30pm. A month is a reasonable time for her to learn. Of course she will need your help to get there.

Do you have that kind of time right now?
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 7:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I used to have this time for bed time but I have a newborn baby now too, and she gets more jealous and it's more challenging.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i say that routine is fine. its going to be challenging probably because of the new born and new souroundings. i say keep doing the same routine and she should get it. its not a easy task. but it will happen.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• oh i forgot to tell you what time....mine goes around 9-9:30. days that there is not that much nap time we might start around 8:45. but sometimes that backfires so i rather do 9. we lay in my bed and watch my home videos of her on my phone. its worked like a charm lately.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My daughter who is 21 months and goes to bed at 9 pm as well. We have had the same routine forever and she just started screaming when I leave the room when it is bed time. We have found the easiest way for us to put her to bed is we start telling her 1 hour before bed so she knows it is coming, then we read, say her prayers with her, then we lay her down in her bed and sit in a chair that is across her room.. I think she just likes knowing we are still there.. I hope this helps and I hope this stage is over soon!

Nwaite85

Answer by Nwaite85 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011