Anyone know anything to help my childs cough

She is 2 1/2 and has a pretty nasty cough at night. During the day it isn't so bad but at night it wakes her up and she get hysterical. I have a vaporizor in her room and I have tried steam from a shower, but that is temporary. Also, this seems to be the only symptom, no fever, no sneezing, no tummy ache, nothing just a horrible cough. Does anyone have any suggestion for something that will help her get through the night?

Thanks

Srkimmel

Asked by Srkimmel at 11:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Creamulsion(sp) cough syrup is especially for little ones and it seems to work pretty well.
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 11:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Try the childrens triaminic,for cold and cough since shes only 2 1/2 u might not be able to give her a full tsp.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Is it a barking cought like a seal, that could be croup which would be worse at night. I usually steam up my son like you said. Although I heard somehwere that cold night air is good too.

Maybe tonight try to put her by an open window and do a self test.

Also whooping cough is back so check your area for outbreaks. Especially if she is in daycare etc. Even if she is vaccinated, it will not prevent her from getting it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You can put vicks vapor rub on her feet and cover with socks before bed. Also, put a little bit on her chest. As strange as it sounds it worked wonders for my little boy. Good Luck!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Thank you to all that you have suggested...I will give it all a try...thanks again
    Srkimmel

Answer by Srkimmel at 12:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Honestly, I wouldn't give her a "cough medicine" they are really bad for anyone and especially little kids... My son is just getting over a cold (he is 19 months) and has been waking up and coughing and coughing in his sleep.. I mixed 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of honey into a cup with a tiny bit of water (just to lessen the sourness) and let him drink it with a straw, he took a good swig of it and that is all it took... it really works Good luck, I hope your little one feels better!
    AverysMommy5

Answer by AverysMommy5 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2008