Is this normal for an 11 year old starting her period?

My dd just got her first period April 4. She didn't get it in May and now in June she got it on the 8th. It's very light and doesn't last long. I remember when I got mine for the first time it was pretty heavy. What do you think is it normal? She has no cramping either...lucky!

Asked by justme782 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Her body is still adjusting to this new phase of her life. In time her periods will straighten themselves out.

Answer by chavela_carlita at 4:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yeah, most girls aren't regular or heavy when they first start.

Answer by scout_mom at 7:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Sounds normal. My granddaughters best friend just had her first period June 2nd. She is EIGHT. It is crazy.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I don't see why not. It's not going to be same for everyone. She is at the age where she could start. I started at 12. Around 14 years old i didn't have a period for 8 months.......i knew i wasn't pregnant because i was a virgin. it's going to be different.

Answer by M4LG5 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes I started my periods when I was 11 and so did my daughter.

Answer by onethentwins at 7:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would say yes it is mother told me she started when she was 11...I didnt start until I was 17 what a difference...and my girls didnt start until they were 12 and 13...just depends or and little girl

Answer by nana0128 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Very normal.My DD is 15 and it still varies

Answer by mrsvixen at 7:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• That sounds normal.

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Sounds completely normal. I started mine at 13 and the first few times I didn't even need a pad really, I also think I would got anywhere from 6-12 weeks between, then it got heavier and more regular as I got older.

Granted I ended up having to go on BC at 16 because I would get cramps so bad I would vomit and feel like passing out. Plus I would get a period that would last WEEKS and I would sometimes only get a small number of period free days. If something like that were to happen she should be seen because mine was caused by ovarian cysts and the birth control broke up the cysts without surgical intervention.

Answer by kfroz0415 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I started when I was 12 almost 13. My DD has been going through all the emotional ups and downs. I expect that she will start sometime this summer. She will be 13 in Sept.

Answer by djh0505 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011