• In the Spotlight:

Should I be concerned about her development?

My daughter will be 9 months old on Dec. 15th. She was born about 4 weeks early. She does not sit herself up or crawl yet. She sits fine once she is there, but I have to put her in the sitting position.Is it bad that she isn't crawling or sitting herself up yet?
Her checkup is next week, so of course I will ask her doc. but I am curious what you think?

MCmomma315

Asked by MCmomma315 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies do everything when they want, and usually when we think that they should be doing something and they arent, we worry. My son is 5 months old, and is doing some things early and some things not at all.. he can't sit up, even though he's super strong, and big, but he can pick up his spoon and put it in his mouth. I wouldnt worry, she probably is just enjoying being a baby... she's smart..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i would not worry my son was 8 weeks early and didnt even hold his head up by himself till he was almost five months old, he finally started sitting up if i put him there at 9 months he never crawled he rolled though ( it was funny), he finally started walking around a year and half, and my doctor told me it was normal because how early he was.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I wouldnt worry a bit. If you put her on her belly and she "swims" or can push herself up I would say she is fine. Shes just not ready mom.

Frogger33

Answer by Frogger33 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I wouldn't be too worried at this point; she's probably developing other skills that aren't as noticeable as the physical ones. I'd still bring it up with the pediatrician just to get additional reassurance.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Babies develop at different ages. Don't take those milestone charts too much for the Gospel truth. I think the average for crawling is 7 - 8 months. But I think being born early puts her behind a little bit naturally and I think babies born late do things a little earlier too. Don't compare her too strictly to the charts. Does she show a desire to move about independently even if physically she isn't doing it yet? If she wants to move but just doesn't have the skills yet then she'll find a way eventually. Give her lots of tummy time and encourage her to move her body as much as possible. She'll do it all in time! And then you'll wish she'd just stay put! LOL!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2008