How are you planning to pay for daycare?

So I work full time and will go back to work after my daughter is born. My DH is a teacher so he'll have all summer off and she'll be about 6 mos. before going into daycare. I called around to get some price quotes (I know, it's still early) and can't believe how much it is! Most were around $900-$1000+ a month. How do people afford it? We are right in the middle class making around $100,000 combined, but this is like a mortgage payment! I have great insurance and DH's job only covers him so I pretty much have to work and I do want to, but oh my god!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• that is why i am a SAHM people put us down for sitting on our asses all day long. well the last thing i do is sit on my ass. but if i went back to work all the money i made would go to daycare and we would be in the same boat so i might as well stay home and take care of my family and my home
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You really need to plan that before having children! I hear so many new moms "I can't believe how daycare costs" Yeah well heres from someone who pays more than you plan to get used to it and get over it or don't have kids. I make way less than you and we still get by with no assistance at all. In the long run after daycare I don't make much but we have insurance so its worth it to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'm a Day Care Provider in my home and I have wrestled with myself over what I charge. Over the past 16 years I've increased my rates 3 times. I periodically call around to the Day Care Centers and check to see what they' are charging and I'm still cheaper but I'm not selling myself short either. I chose to stay home with my children when they were young but we HAD to have a second income. It's the only way I could stay home. I don't know where you live but where I live (Dallas, TX area) I'm charging the norm which is $600.00 per month. When my oldest was at a sitter when he was 8 months - 1 year...I paid $320.00 per month. It's crazy I know but we all have to make a living and people will pay it. But...$900.00 - 1000.00 sounds pretty pricey to me...
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• what the hell anon what are you saying dont bitch about the prices or don't have a baby. that is just crazy. i can't afford the prices of food these days so dont eat. that is logical thinking
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Yeah, really, anon., talk about anger issues...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I don't plan on ever putting my kids into daycare if I can ever absolutely help it. I have worked in daycares, and personally I don't like a lot of things that go on (not judging anyone, but the ones I worked for were pretty crooked and I'd never leave my kids with those people). I plan on being a SAHM so long as God allows, but if I do return to work, I've got 2 sisters and my mom and MIL who have offered to babysit if I do return to work.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Way before I got married I went with my older sister to check out Day Cares with her. The ones I went to scared me and I didn't even have children yet. THAT'S why I have an in Home Day Care. I love and care about all 6 children in my care. You have to start looking early and develop a relationship with them so you know who's caring for, loving and teaching your child. Take your time during your search. Don't worry there are GREAT sitters out there but don't get stuck on $ because in the end...you get what you pay for..sorry to say but true.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I am an administrative assistant for a day care and we charge $100 per week per child. I know it costs alot for children to go to day care but I also know it costs a ton to run a day care also. Also, because of the economy not being so great right now, there are TONS of people wanting and needing day care because for a lot of families, it takes 2 incomes for the family to survive and even that isn't enough sometimes. The demand for day care is very large in my area so it costs quite a bit and I am sure it gets more and more expensive depending on the area or "class" your day care is in.
    Anonymous

• I get MFIP, it's welfare/daycare assitance. Look into what your state or county has to offer.
    Good Luck
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Yep, daycare is very expensive. Especially since most families are having to have both parents working to pay bills. (because of the economy) my Dh and I both work- just to pay bills. After I pay daycare for two kids, I usually have enough to pay the electric bill. On the other hand, if I didn't work, and didn't have daycare- we can't make it on my Dh's pay. It sucks.
    Oh wait... guess I should have thought of that before I had kids...anon. (lol, whatever)
    jsikapv

Answer by jsikapv at 5:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2008