Do we live in a post-Christian culture?

This is a two part question .... do we live in a post-Christian culture AND are you Christian or not?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 8:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• NO! How could we live in a Post-Christian culture when Christians still make up nearly half of the people in this country? Our culture is influenced by Christianity more than any other group! Easter & Christmas continue to be National Holidays. Our money and pledge continue to carry the brand of Christianity. And politics are sick with Christian undertones... For this to truly be a "post-Christian" culture Christianity would need to be the minority, and unfortunately it's not.

And I'm Pagan...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Not yet. I think the time will come that more people embrace logic and secular humanism, or non-theistic thinking along those lines, and release themselves from the pageantry and unnecessary doctrines of religion, but we're still far from that point. It seems that the more science proves against supernatural causes, the more passionately some people cling to their religions. I do think, though, that it will pass.

I am not Christian, but I played one in my earlier life.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Bear in mind that I'm Canadian, so I'm commenting on a slightly different culture from the rest. I don't think we have a 'post-Christian' culture, but I do think we are living in a more pluralistic culture where more voices are heard, Christianity included. I do think that Canada has always had far less overlap between religion and politics anyhow- for instance, the religious views of our leaders are very seldom part of political debate, although there are some that oppose issues like abortion or same sex marriage, there is minimal political pressure to repeal either of those in legislation. It doesn't seem that there is the organized effort of religions to legislate their beliefs here. So I would say that Christianity is one voice among many in terms of our culture and political system. I don't view that as 'post-Christian' though- maybe post-Christian-monopoly?
    I practice Buddhism, but am from a Christian background.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think the mainstream idea of what Christianity is, is changing, so we may be living in (or growing into) a post-Christian culture in the sense that "traditional" Christianity is fading - Spong kind of touches on it a little, I think.... I do believe that Christianity isn't going anywhere anytime soon, it's just that other voices are finally being heard within the Christian dialogue, instead of being quieted or left unspoken. I also think the idea of Christianity as an exclusive way of thought is being replaced by a more inclusive understanding - not that such an inclusive way of thinking is new (it goes back as far as Christianity itself does), just that it's finally finding its voice and an audience willing to hear it. In a way, though, Christianity is becoming - more Christ like....

I am a Christian.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I'm Christian, and I don't think we live in a post Christian culture, but we do live in a far more diverse and integrated culture that has access to many different opinions and ideas via the  Internet. I like the convergence of beliefs and cultures, it does cause conflict and that can be scary but it also increases understanding of larger groups of people.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• There hasn't been *a* Christian "culture" to live in since Martin Luther hammered his list of 95 theses into history. There have been *many* Christian cultures--both European countries and the colonies had their own brand of Christianity in each nation or state...and they hated each other something fierce. Its no different today, except that there are very few state sponsored Christianities in the world anymore (in this country, that is thanks to the Baptists, the Quakers, and a couple other minority faiths)...and there is no "Christianity" like its one big happy family that agrees on everything. So, yes...I'd say that we are in a post-Christian culture, but not a post-Christianities influenced culture.

...and no, I'm not Christian.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• In a recent survey (sorry I don't have the link), 76% of Americans claimed to be Christian. So, in a sense, my answer is no. However, I believe we are witnessing a great falling away of the faith just as Jesus said would happen. I think Atheism is on the rise. I'll be interested to see the results of the next survey. I am Christian.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Not yet.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• post-Christian-monopoly

That's the best description. It's not gone. It's just not given a free pass to be the playground bully anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think that there are people who 'wish' we were, or would 'prefer' that we were. Some of them are very loud, very vocal; that loud grabs news headlines from a media that that favors a left political view. But, I don't see that. I don't see it around me in every day life. I don't see it in the numbers when people are polled (in spite of the growing number of those who identify with either atheism or 'no god' when held up alongside a growing population it doesn't add up).

Yes, I'm a Christian.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011