Random question...Does not have to do with being a parent persay...

My best friend has kidney failure and is on a transplant list everytime his name comes up he is always denied because someone ahead of him is more compatible. I have been thinking lately to get tested to see if i am a match to donate one of mine...have not really talked to my family about it but need some feed back..do you think it would be a good idea? I mean this guy is fantastic he has a 7year old daughter and it melts my heart that he has to go through all of this pain everyday.
I have a 10month old daughter and that would be at this moment in time the only thing that is holding me back from truely going through with it....
Please need advice....

AlysMom818

Asked by AlysMom818 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• well, i would suggest getting tested and don't tell him about it beforehand. if you are not compatable then the dilemma is solved for you. if you are compatable then you will have time to make up your mind without him pressuring you one way or the other.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Boy that's a tough one! I understand your wanting to and I understand your reservations! That's such a huge decision but I look at it like this.... if you were in his shoes you'd hope and pray someone would step up! I'm not saying for sure I'd do it but I'd discuss it with my family and get the facts if I was seriously considering it. There was a local boy in our community that needed a Bone Marrow Transplant and I got tested for it and even though I wasn't a match, I'm on a Nationwide donor list. A kidney is a much bigger scale and your a very caring person to even consider! Good luck with your decision!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would talk it over with my doctor and get tested before telling my friend. You would be doing such a selfless thing, that would help your friend stay alive for his daughter. You are the only one who knows if the decision would be right.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Put it in God's hands, That way you can not go wrong
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 9:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• How generous of you....you must really be some kind of "real" person!!!
    My DH works with a man who had kidney failure and was going to die without transplant....one of the guys in the office matched and gave up his kidney for this man. I just thought it was amazing.
    It's a decision only YOU can make and must take in every consideration for your children too.
    It doesn't hurt to get tested...you may not even be a match....
    I think that's really something .....
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would get tested without telling anyone. Its a long shot taht you will be a match, but once you know if you are, then you can talk it over with family. But really look into all the risks. Yes, it would be horrible for his daughter to loose a dad, but it would be just as tragic for your daughter to loose her mother.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thank you guys for your input. The past few days i have been calling around to set up getting tested (still waiting on a response). I talked to my friend about it and we are going to sit down and he will explain everything to me incase i am a match. I also informed my family about it they are going to support me 100% on whatever my decision is going to be. Thank you again!!!
    AlysMom818

Comment by AlysMom818 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011