How to get rid of Curly hair? From Chemo.

I always had stick straight pretty hair. Then due to Cancer & Chemo. I lost every single hair on my Body. Starting over.. DH calls me his little puff ball. Its so Thick & curly.I don't know how to wear it or fix it! DH says, ask at CM the wonder girls that know... So is it possible to have the curl removed? Now mind you we're still jobless and I'm not well. But DH thinks if I get my old hair back.. My strength and wellness will follow!! You should have heard him today.. Trying to convince them not to do a post op. mammogram to those "puppies" As he talked with the nurse navigator! He doesn't want me to have any more pain. Any ideas for me! To get rid of my '80's prem like tight curls/fuzz? Thank you for caring and replying!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 8:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• did you try a blow out or using a straightening iron?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have heard that if you can use the at home perm kits. Just follow the directions except don't put your hair in the rollers. Just let it sit on your hair for the time it suggests and then wash it out.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• there are many styling or chemical options available, but i'd recommend you wait until you hair is fully back. it will be funky, and may never be the same as before chemo..its usually not. however, you need to be careful with how you handle it. its likely to not react 'properly' to chemicals at this stage, if ever, as compared to its natural ability before-chemo.
    how long has it been and how long is it now? is it all grown back? are there still sparse areas, or even spots where no hair grows?
    there's a lot to consider.
    i recommend you find a reputable stylist who is educated in post-chemo hair. ask around-perhaps someone is a support group or from your doctor's office would be of help in referring you to a qualified cosmetologist. good luck!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• well, you could do a relaxer, but i am not sure how your hair would take to that since it's like baby hair when it first grows back.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• *IN a support group..*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• maybe a straightening iron? not sure I wish I had curly hair but is dull and straight
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would try a straightening iron or I know this isn't the answer you want go with the flow rock it like nobody's business until you can afford some good relaxer or figure out something better :) It is summer so another suggestion idk if this your style find a cute sun hat and where a sun dress :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 2:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Mine grows like that all the time. thick and curly, every strand has a mind of its own. Use a shampoo that has a heavy moisturizer in it. You will know you have the right one when it takes 2 hours to dry. I doubt the rest of my techniques will help you. Wear it long. Tie it up so it is flat next to your head while it is drying. Use the biggest curlers you can find. I imagine yours is too short for that stuff, but as it grows out keep those in mind.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Mine came back kind of curly, but I just kept cutting it and now it's straght again. But I like mine short now, it's EASY! Right now you need easy.
    mommerbean

Answer by mommerbean at 2:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It's definitely not unusual for post-chemo hair to be completely different from your pre-chemo hair. At this point I'd certainly avoid any kind of chemical straighteners and stick with products that can help get it under control, like anti-frizz products, etc.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2011