Any good books or supplies for jarring?

Neither DH or I have ever jarred foods, but we're interested in learning. He just asked for a book or starter kit for fathers day (or his B-day which happens a few weeks later) Does anyone have a favorite book? A few that caught my eye online were The Ball Blue Book, The Kerr book, and the Joy of Canning. Also, if we have a nice deep stock pot, how neccessary is a "starter kit" I saw some that seemed to consist of a big deep pot, a "jar grabber" and a wide mouthed funnel, but they seemed a bit pricey... Any good tips?

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• This book: http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308274480&sr=8-1

You don't have to use the starter kits for boil bath canning (acidic foods), but they do make things easier. For pressure canning you must use a pressure canner (non-acidic foods).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I highly recommend the Ball book. Also, pickyourown.org is an amazing website for canning info. I wouldn't use a stock pot - I'd invest in an actual canner, both water bath and pressure (some things can't be water bathed, some don't need to be pressure).
    Anonymous

• the ball book is the one I follow also
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2011