What do you think of "registering" for a kids bday party?

My daughters first birthday isn't for another 6 months, but I had to request the time off of work this week so I dont end up having to work that weekend. So it got me thinking...

We register for wedding gifts and baby shower gifts so that people know what we need, why not register for bday gifts? For me personally, I don't like going to small kids bday parties because I never know what to get, I don't know if they have it already, or even if it is a gift they will like. I think it would be so much easier if the parents registered so that I know I'm not buying something they already have, or so that they don't have to worry about getting "another toy" when they really needed shoes or something like that..

Do you think its a good idea to register for a bday party? or is it tacky?

(bonus: usually when you register somewhere if you dont get everything on the list they give you a discount after the event is over, so you can save money on the stuff that isn't bought!)

Rampy510

Asked by Rampy510 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I DO NOT think it's Tacky!
    I would appreciate knowing what to buy for a childs birthday party...I get tired of trying to figure it out and then they have it or had or didn't like it or didn't need it or whatever.......
    GREAT idea....put it on the invitations...how convenient!! No running all over the place wondering...I love it! You may be on to something here!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Tacky!!!! If someone asks what the child wants or needs, then I give them a few suggestions but I would never register for a birthday party.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Tacky for sure. A wedding and a baby shower are usually when people are spending quite a bit of money and it is when you are setting up a couple for life or a new baby. Where a birthday party is buying things for a little one for fun. The amount family/friends spend at different occasions are different.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We are having my DD's party this weekend (she is 4) -- and what we did was make her a "wish-list" at Toys R Us and then whenever I was asked what she wanted, I generally said "I am sure she will like whatever you pick out, but she has made a list at Toys R Us of things that she likes." I made sure the list had all levels of prices an only told those that asked. Personally, we go to a lot of parties and I would appreciate the suggestions!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• TACKY TACKY
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 9:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Personally my DH and I create wishlists of toys for our son to help our families find things that our son wants. I would never hesitate because our parents are always asking us what our son needs or wants.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Well I think its a great idea -- not many have asked for the link name, but a few have!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, I love wishlists!! I use my dd's wishlists off urban outfitter and jcrew all the time to buy her things she doesn't know I'm getting her.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Sorry have to agree w/ tyfry7496. I don't think it's appropriate.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• NO, bad idea tacky tick tack tack!!!! You should appreciate anything you get for a birthday. I have never heard of this at all, sorry momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2011