employee holiday paries, who should go?

Is it fair that employers invite THEIR WHOLE family to a employee christmas party? Isn't it just for employees plus a guest of their choice. A chance for the employer to say, "merry christmas thanks for a great year, couldn't have done it without you".

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 11:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

• Personally, I only take the DH. Thats a night for us to get away & enjoy a night out. Theres a few ladies who bring their hubby, their kids, their neighbor's kids....ok - well not literally - but yes I think it should be the employee & spouse only.
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Yep that's a night out for me and hubby too..WE NEVER go out, last time we went out it was August! I have always been to a xmas party where it's a night for couples. Not this year, it's all about the 2 bosses and their families. I see it as a party for their families, throw in a couple employees and make it a TAX WRITEOFF!...it's that and the clickyness that will take place.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It depends. My bosses threw 2 parties a year. The Christmas party, which was employee plus SO or date, no kids; and a summer pool party in which families were invited.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Our Christmas party was just for employee and one guest. It wasn't said, but it was understood no kids were invited. My husband's is the same way.
    Anonymous

• My hubbies work is at the presidents house and it's only the spouses. I like that kids don't come. it's nice having a date night with hubby.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 2:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• We do two office parties. On Christmas it is the employee and a friend/spouse because it gets raunchy and there is drinking. I don't go because I would rather spend time with my kids...and I would only go if they LET the kids go. In the summer we have a company picnic where the whole family comes and its usually somewhere like an amusement park or zoo where there are activities for everybody.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2008