Salad Bars and pesticides? Do they wash that stuff?

Okay so all over the news they are talking about pesticides on fruits and veggies,, I eat of a salad bar at least 5 times a week, are they required to wash the stuff on there? How do you know? Is it a law? I am not terribly freaked out about it, I figure I am still alive,, LOL, but would like to know for DS's sake,, it is only in the past few years they have started using so much chemicals,, and I don't want him ingesting the junk for the next 40 years!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 9:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• yes, they wash everything. they are required to by law and the health inspectors come and do a random check every now and again. the lettuce they wash with a special rinse to prevent browning. i used to work in the dining hall when i was in college....what a pain in the butt the salad bar was lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• really anichols? they were always swabbing ours with that little q-tip thing. maybe it depends on the inspector? and they would always check the temp. of the tuna salad, etc. with a themometer
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Well, we work with fresh produce and Health Inspectors come every 3 months and have never once checked if we clean the produce! Although I feel the need to do it, no one checks, sorry! I know that doesn't ease your mind, just the cold hard truth! :(

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Really! They have never checked the produce that we use in our recipes, like onions, peppers, celery ,lettuce, tomatoes. They are more interested in the temperature of the meats we use. Crazy I know! Yeah, someones not doing they're job!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I'd worry more about so many people coughing and sneezing at the salad bar than the pesticides. If you wanted organic, you would probably make your own salad at home. Don't worry about it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• When I worked at a restaurant we did not wash anything. My boss said it was a waste of time. I would wash the stuff if he wasn't around but we would be screamed at and threatened to be fired for wasting his time and money if he caught us. Gross, right. He always wondered why I wouldn't eat the food even when he offered it to me for free.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thanks!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The few I go to, I see them dumping in more lettuce, carrots, etc, straight from the bags it was purchased in. Sure, the bar itself gets cleaned all the time, but I've never seen evidence that they wash the food going into the bowls.
    Anonymous