Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Is it illegal?

when i'm 17, and when my boyfriend is 18, would it still be illegal to move in with him without my parents permission?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (15)
  • I do not know about illegal. But STUPID yes.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 9:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • I live in west Virginia too and NO, your still a minor! My niece did this and she was brought home and he was brought up on charges! Reason being, her parent pressed the issue!


    Answer by anichols1 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • you can to the courts and see if they will amansapet you and that will make you your owe grdean

    Answer by avesmith at 9:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • I legally moved out at 16, had a cop escort me out of my house and all. Not emancipated, I was just done living with an abusive psycho.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • Don't bother with the courts unless you are being abused or neglected. They won't empanciapate you just because you want to move in with your boyfriend. But, yes it's illegal, you are still a MINOR. If you have to move in with your boyfriend, wait until you are 18, have a steady job, and are ready for the responsibilities of paying ALL your bills on your own, cleaning, cooking, doing the laundry, shopping, etc. Also, be sure you are ready to become a parent, because that can happen when you live with your boyfriend. Your parents can also press statutory rape charges against your boyfriend and he will be a registered sex offender for the rest of his life.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • and if you are 17 you can leave, the courts will not make you emancipate yourself, it is a waste of their time because by the time the process is over you will probably be over 18 and in order to emancipate you have to be living outside of a guardians home for a few months anyway.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • It isn't in ct but I wld wait your sooo close do u have kids by him?

    Answer by MylittlePea at 9:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • tyfry7496
    pleae dont give false info, its not statutory rape unless he is over 18 and over 2 yrs older than her, he would have to be 20 to press charges.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • Depends on the state. In michigan yes you can. Though you are still technically a minor you can leave home and police can't stop you. It's a gray area of the law. It is also important to note that in Michigan as a 17 year old your parents are still legally responsible for you. I don't agree with how Michigan works but that's just how it is and I'm sure many states are similar. Please think it through.

    Answer by tspillane at 9:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

  • Tyfry- no one can press charges against him in any of the 50 states. You're full of shit.

    In most states, you are able to move out at 17 without your parents having any say so- I did, with my child no less, and never looked back. HOWEVER, if I had, had a safe home life, I never would have left. My life has been incredibly hard. I would NEVER suggest that anyone move out until they are working, have their own car, have the ability to pay their bills, groceries, etc. I had to bust my ass to scrape by.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.