Respect and kids

My son is 9. We are an Army family and we live in the South. My son says "yes maam and yes sir" to me and his dad. He says please, thank you, Bless you. He opens doors for adults. He will address an adult sir or ma'am if he doesn't know their first name. If he does know their first name he will say Ms. Amy or Mr. Bob etc. When he has his friends over he seems to forget his manners. He interrupts, asks to do things that he knows I will say no too. I keep reminding him that he knows the rules and how I expect him to behave. But, peer pressure is not good. How do you help your kids to not follow the crowd and fall for peer pressure?

SweetPea726

Asked by SweetPea726 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• yes, that is true. it will be hard for him, but usually they find that having somewhere structured to go will help them when they're going through alot of turmoil. you could also explain to him that you know what he's going through, etc. and you understand it makes things difficult, but he is old enough and strong enough to make good choices. gl...i hope they straighten up bc it sounds like his friend really needs him right now.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• well i would simply sit him down and tell him that if he can't remember his manners when his friends come over then he will not be allowed to have friends over. also, while his friends are over to your house you can tell them that you expect them to use their manners....most parents say that their kids act better in my house then at home lol. you can sit the friends down and explain to them that while they're over to your house you expect them to be polite (be specific lol) and if they can't handle that then they can't come over anymore.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I agree with all of that. I have done that. We just moved and his best friend from the old town is over. They haven't seen each other in over a month. His friend is usually polite. But, his parents have split up since we saw him last. No excuse for bad behavior. But, I told them tonight if they want to have them get together they need to follow my rules and be respectful. Usually they both are. I am just thinking his life has changed so much he is lashing out:(
    SweetPea726

Comment by SweetPea726 (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• They are both good kids. They are very respectful and polite. It just came out of nowhere. I sat them down and they haven't been any problem since. I feel for the kid. I have been there. I remember being angry at my parents. He just wants to be loved and respected. Don't we all......
    SweetPea726

Comment by SweetPea726 (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011