Joining the Army.... at 30? what would you do?

Just want opinions here.... My husband and I have a yours, mine and ours. Married 3+ years, been together for almost 10. I am a designer and have finally been able to start my career at a really great office, getting pretty good pay. Been there for a year and a half.

He's been the sole provider running a chain restaurant for over 6 years. He hates it and it's finally catching up with him. He's always put his family first (there has been ups and downs but we are solid). He's thinking about joining the army.... He just turned 30, the age really isn't the matter here. It's uprooting everything we know. Yes, it would be fun to move around but, I don't know... I like my job, my hand full of friends, all our family is here..My son loves this town/school/friends...... but my husband deserves to finally do something for himself too....

what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• Does he want to join the army or is this the last ditch effort to provide? Aren't there other things he could do, even if you did move? Maybe he likes the Army? Serving our country is wonderful. If you think you can do business remotely, it would work out.
    Anonymous

• he already works 60+ hours, there's really no time for school. Financially he needs to work, so do I.... I'm sort of stuck at fork in the road here... Should I really live my life in what if's and be safe or should I take a chance? we only live once... right?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My husband was in the army for 8 years. Some things for him to consider would be- Would he mind a 22 year old Sgt. telling him what to do? That is one of the biggest issues with an older man joining the military. There are a lot of men who join right out of high school or soon after and work there way up. He will be starting out as a private. Also, how many kids do you have? Sometimes, there are restrictions on how many children you have as to if the army will take you. He can possible get a waiver but it would depend on the needs of the army. Anyways, I would have him talk with a recruiter and get more info and then the both of you sit down and discuss it together.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Are you sure he's not too old to join?
    Anonymous

• Considering they are trying to cut back people in all branches, I would say with your hub being that "old", there's a very slim chance on him getting in at this time. Has he already talked to a recruiter? Taken the ASVAB? I mean, doesn't hurt to try and see what you get and all, but its definitely something to sit down, both of you, and fully discuss the pros and cons of him joining now.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I don't think it's fair to uproot your kids! But just my honest opinion here.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I will tell you this. My husband is retired Army - 21 years. I am not his first wife, so I didn't move around with him when he was active duty. However, I would have. I married him almost 3 years ago, and believe me, you can't get any better pay or benefits than the military! If he is seriously considering it, and you are supportive, then I say, do it. Do it now, while you guys have the opportunity, and you are still young enough. Your friends and your family will be there. If you think it would benefit you guys, then go. One of THE best educations kids can get is traveling, being exposed to other cultures. If your husband is seriously considering it, and you are supportive, Go for it!
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 12:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2011