I suspect I have an eating disorder and don't know what to think about it...

I think I may have had anxiety and depression my whole life. My family doctor is away and I saw her replacement so I am only on pills for the anxiety for now. I have to wait til she comes back to talk to her about everything. The temp Dr agreed with me about depression as well. The one thing I have never told anyone is that I think I am on the border of Bulimia. I binge eat and then feel awful about it. More and more I know I'll feel better after if I would purge. I'm really trying not to but it's the fact that I think about it. Is it technically an eating disorder if I don't purge? I still binge and always think about food. I go for too long without eating because I want to cut back and lose weight and then I end up eating too much when I do eat. I feel like everything is out of control and was just trying to get it together. How do they treat eating disorders? I can't see my doctor until the 28th and the other offices I called told me I should stick to the Dr that knows me the best. I'm afraid it's going to get worse til I see her. Right now I am so full and really want it out. This feels rediculous. I feel desperate. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Health

• Baby- You might not fit into a specific category of ED, but if you're thinking about it this much- there's an issue. Hold on until you can get a medical professional to help you.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I don't know how to help you but I wanted to let you know that I read the post and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you get help very soon. Is there a way you can talk to a counselor without having to go to your doctor?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes it sounds like you do have some form of eating disorder and it's nothing to ignore. It is dangerous and there is no quick fix. I'd recommend talking to the doctor and getting some counseling. Hang in there.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The best thing is for you to see an eating disorder specialist (counselor), who can help you understand what is behind the binge/starve cycle. There are lots of different ways of purging. You can vomit, take laxatives, overexercise, or starve after a binge. It is all of the same cycle and problem, though. And, eating disorders are so common. So many of us deal with them.
    For now, try to just be aware of when you start the binge. With all your might, put down the food until you finish a journal page. Just write whatever is on your mind . . . then see if you need to resume. Sometimes writing can let out some of the yucky internal dialogue that is causing you to binge. Other times, it becomes a really strong clue as to what the major issue is that causing the disorder.
    It might also help to see a nutrtionist. They can help you regain a normal pattern of eating. And they work with ED all tihe time.
    Hugs. Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Oh, and "Feeding the Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth is an excellent, easy to read self-help book. I recommend anything from her . . . she has an amazing understanding of the emotional turbulence that is behind the eating disorder.

You can get it through Amazon, barnesandNoble, etc.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Look in the blue pages of your phone book. There are crisis lines. If you don't have one, email me with your city and state and I will find you one. All the other suggestions are great, but I know you need help right now.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• just slow down the amount u eat excise go for walk get food off your mind ill pray all gets better
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011