To FORMER Cigarette smokers

How did you finally quit?

I really want to quit but my weakness is that all the people around me on a regular basis smokes and when I am around it I want one and that is something I feel I will always struggle with and don't want to cut all these people out of my life.

Please help!!!

MamaCortney

Asked by MamaCortney at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Health

• i quit cold turkey for five months then started again. 2 months after that i quit cold turkey again and havent had a cigarette since.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• doesnot help but i cold turkeyed it.... have not snoked in 8 years.... i have wanted to go back but some times just th second hand smoke is good enough for me.
    Liveatmo

Answer by Liveatmo at 10:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Cold turkey. Had a couple of social smokes months later, then that was it. I've been smoke free for over a year (after over 12 years of smoking). If your friends give a shit about you, they'll politely go somewhere else to smoke, and not ask you if you want one. Simply tell them you're trying to quit, and ask them to be supportive.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have quit smoking three times since I was 15. All three times I have done it cold turkey. Day 8 SUCKS way more than day 3, but once you get there, it is a battle mostly won. This last time I started smoking was due to some emotional trauma I wasn't coping with. I smoked 16 packs of cigarettes in 6 days. Holy crap right? So I quit again. My husband still smokes, but I am ok with that. I miss it a lot, but not enough to through the journey of quitting again. My husband found some success with the lozenges, before my miscarriages when he started again. My mother had some success with Chantix. My sister found she was only able to quit when it was for her unborn baby and not for her. Whatever your reason or your crutch, make sure it is the right one for you.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I got the nicorette gum-Walmart brand. I chewed a lot of it for about a month and then slowly weaned myself off by chewing that and then regular gum. Having a kid who freaked out about it and a man who was totally grossed out about it helped.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i quit cold turkey and i mostly did it for my grandmother cause started up smoking again with me so i had to stop for her and im glad i did cause a months later i got pregnant with my baby
    sleepinglotus

Answer by sleepinglotus at 10:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Cold turkey and will power. I smoked for 5-6 years, quit for 9 months, smoked for 2months and quit again. It has been a month. I took about 3 hits off a cigarette about a week ago and thought I would vomit. I work in a bar. 99% of the people in there smoke. It has been easier for me quitting this time than it was last time. I think I actually wanted to quit this time.
    You CAN quit, you just have to want to more than you want to smoke.
    When they go out to smoke, stay in your house. Tell them if you ask them for a cigarette not to give you one. Buy some gum. Brush your teeth every time you want a cigarette.
    Good luck!
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I know you asked for former and I can't be one of them, I do not have the desire to quit, but from what I have heard from other people, the e-cigarette seems to help. I tried it but it wasn't enough nicotine for me and like I said, I have no desire to quit, but is supposed to be very effective if you are weaning down. They are a little expensive, but I think in the long run still much cheaper than the gums, patches, etc. and a lot safer. Good luck!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Cold turkey and boy was I pain in the butt. It felt really weird to realize how moody I was. Best to go cold turkey so your not relying on nicotine patches or gums,the idea is to break free! Drink lots of water,I took vitamin B and E pills and ate things high in potassium to keep my blood pressure down. Mints help somewhat. The first week is thee hardest but you can do it!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant. I havent had a smoke in over 8 years
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 10:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011