Does your family think you are crazy?

Does your family think you are crazy for having the beliefs that you do?

I grew up in an atheist home and my family doesn't believe in God, which is fine with me I don't try to convert them or shove anything down their throats. But I am close with my family and I love them. When we spend the night at their house we always take our children to another room to say our evening prayers before bed and we never eat without giving thanks. We don't compromise because they don't believe, if that makes sense.
We are Catholic and by that I mean we are REALLY Catholic, we follow all the teachings of the church to the best of our ability and that includes the teachings on birth control. My family just can't stop harassing me about always being pregnant and bare foot in the in kitchen. My mother thinks that I'm a slave to my husband and that going to church on Sundays is burden and an inconvenience. We have tried to explains our faith but I think their hearts are hard (for lack of a better term). It's not like we are the Duggars or anything, we know how to space our children in a responsible way.
*sigh*
I guess I'm just looking for others who can share their experiences and give me some encouragement.

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• my situation is LITERALLY the exact opposite of yours, and it's just as difficult for them to understand me but we all love each other and respect each other. i wouldn't change the way i was raised for anything, i just believe differently. i am a good person and i come from a good family. that our beliefs are different really isn't a big deal. i'm sorry they are giving you a hard time. i imagine it must be hard as a parent when your child chooses such a different path than the one you chose, but unconditional love means you love them without condition. i know you can be understanding to their difference and they will respect your beliefs if you don't push. that doesn't mean your mom will ever stop trying to understand your beliefs! mothers are mothers.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 10:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My family doesnt really think Im crazy as much as they think Im misled and going to hell in a handbasket.

Im sorry your family is being overbearing especially concerning the birth control issue. All I can say is keep doing what you all feel is best while being respectful and ignoring their annoying side as best as you can.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No. Do they think I'm misguided? Yes, they are JW and believe that anyone who isn't JW is misguided... But crazy? No, they know I'm following my own truth, just like they are.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I really don't know what they truly think of me, but they are very respectful and we don't really discuss religion. I am an atheist and they are Catholic.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Maybe it's because Atheist are so differently from every other belief system...If they were Protestant Christian, Muslim or even Pagan at least we could agree that there is a higher "power" or God or something but because they don't believe in anything it just makes things more tense because they equate my God to the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.
    Thanks for the encouraging words...glad to know I'm not the only one.
    tobys.mommy

Comment by tobys.mommy (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Crazy? Yes, they do, but I'm quick to tell them that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! LOL! ;)

My family, actually, doesn't really know what i believe. My father studies to be a Rabbi, then turn Atheist. My mother went to Catholic School, but married a jew. Now she is really back into the church. My husband was Baptized Episcopal, but calls himself an atheist now. My sisters and I believe in god, but don't quite fit in with any group. We were raised catholic, but . . .

I think my family assumes I am a non-believer, but i have a very strong relationship with God. The only ones who cares to ask me about it is my Atheist father, who "accepts" my belief, but really thinks I am just naive.

Truth be told, I am spiritually lonely. And, I wish my family was more united in belief, so that we could be open with that part of our lives.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No, my family shares my faith, though we are different denominations.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, but it is nothing to do with religious beliefs .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I am very well read on things like astrology, gemstone healing, energy healing, and spirituality in the sense that we are all connected. Its funny that everyone thinks I am weird, but I am the first person they go to for advice or to talk out issues. After I do their birth chart, they are so hooked on my goodies! Haha!

I think it is beautiful to see a barefoot preggo mama!

Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• They think I am crazy, but we are all Catholic. I have turned back to some of the traditional teaching of the church like birth control and other hot issues. They are very liberal. I get beat up a little for some of my views but for us it is all in good fun.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 1:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2011