Advice for converting your 17 months old twins from crib to toddler bed.

Any advice?
I am moving to our own apartment tomorrow and my twins are 17 months old...I figured since it will be a whole new environment to them - so might as well get them right into toddler bed to make them feel like big boys - new room new beds.
Its going to be one hell of a challenge - especially that I am a single mom.

jmartin571982

Asked by jmartin571982 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i just did this about 2 months ago with my twins, they were 19 months old. it was actually easy. first i'd say dont let them see the cribs again, out of sight out of mind. so when they come home all new beds. elizabeth was fine but emma was upset. she doesnt do change well. i had to hold her and rock her the first night and then just left, she started to cry again but passed out on the floor. after a while i went in and moved her to her bed, she slept the rest of the night. the next day a little better by the 3rd day they were both perfectly fine with their new beds.
    just stick to the same routine ex. bath, pjs, brush teeth, read a story, tuck them in. whatever your usual bedtime routine was keep it the same. if they are really upset and really crying ( then hold them or rock them. sing their favorite song. it should go just fine.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think you are brave! I moved my single one at 19 months, and I really regretted not waiting longer. My twins are 15 months, and I intend to keep them in their cribs as long as I possibly can. I'm just not ready for them to have that much freedom yet. The only advice I have is put a gate in front of their bedroom door to keep them confined to that room. I'll be checking back to see if you get any better advice. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Looks like you did get some better advice. I wasn't trying to knock it, but it wasn't there when I started typing my response!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think that might be too much change all at once. Moving is hard for everyone. They may need the comfort of their cribs for just a little longer. I think with babies, transitions should be slow. Thats why we got one of those convertible cribs for our baby. This way the change is slow, the bed is still familiar to him but it's also new. Ultimately it's up to you. You know your babies better then we do. If you think it's a good time for them, then do it!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• congratulations on the apartment! I'm happy for you.. too bad the twin men aren't old enough to help you carry everything huh.. I can't wait till mine are like 20 or something.. I'll have them fixing my car.. mowing my grass.. they'll be able to beat up bitch ass men.. lol.. anyway.. I think as long as they have familar covers and pillows they should be able to transition.. they have each other.. you are lucky.. my men still sleep with me.. and they kick the shit out of me.. lol
    pawneendn

Answer by pawneendn at 3:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2008