Question for OB/GYN about having more kids

Hello. I recently had my second child. Both children were born via emergency c-section. With my son, my fluid was leaking for two weeks. The OB passed it off as regular leakage without checking first.Anyway, my son ended up being born at 36 weeks. His heart rate had gone down while waiting to get a c-section to 40 bpm. Apparently he also had the cord wrapped around his neck. I was gassed out and rushed to the OR. He was out within 6 min. 3 1/2 years later, we had dd (7 weeks ago). I was going to go for a VBAC, but while laboring, dd's heart rate kept going down. They would put a gas mask on me and then take it off once it was ok again. They did this a few times. They tried pitocin to speed up labor, which resulted in contractions on top of contractions and her heart rate dropping more (this was with only 1 drop). They stopped. It ended up that her heart rate dropped again and this time enough for them to rush me to the OR. I had just gotten the epidural, so I didn't have to be gassed out though. Apparently she also had the cord wrapped around her neck and the labor or whatever was making it worse. Oh, and she was born one day shy of 38 weeks. My first was 5 lbs, 3 oz., second was 5 lbs., 7 oz.

So my question is, is it safe to have more kids in the future? The OB said I'd have to do a c-section, of course, but after both children needing an emergency c-section, I was wondering if it is safe.

Thank you!

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 10:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The risk of uterine rupture (which is the big risk with VBAC) doesn't go up a whole lot until, like, the 5th surgery, BUT the risk of bleeding goes up and up and up with each surgery.

You may very well be able to VBAC. 1/3 of all babies are born with the cord around their neck (called a nuchal cord). It's almost never the reason a baby has a deceleration in their heart rate. Pitocin is known to exacerbate fetal distress, so giving you Pit when your baby wasn't doing so hot was the exact wrong thing to do. They also could have had you try other positions... did they do that at all?

Being off the monitors (which have NOT improved outcomes and have led to many unnecessary C-sections), being upright, and avoiding going to the hospital too early are all great ways to increase your chance of a successful VBAC. Also, make sure you hire a VBAC friendly provider. Ask what their VBAC success rate is. It should be at least 80%
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• In short, VBAC is still the safer option for you. Search around, find a truly VBAC friendly provider. Read the book "Birth After Cesarean: The Medical Facts" by Dr. Bruce Flamm. SO worth it, very informative.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, with both children, they had me go from side to side to try to help. In both cases, it seemed to help in the beginning, but ended up not being able to stop the fetal distress. But what I was wondering was if it was safe to have more children after both of our children being in fetal distress and all that happened.

Thank you for answering!
    sunshinepraying

Comment by sunshinepraying (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2011