If i boil water do i have to boil the container im putting it in too?

Hi im currently boiling water to store in my fridge. 2 questions first Do i have to boil the container im putting it in? If so how bc the container im putting it in wont fit in my pot...and can i put sterilized water in a tea pitcher u know the ones where the tops twist open there is no screw on lid or anything. so can i put this in the fridge or is it at risk for bacteria so i have to use one that is complely sealed??

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure why you are boiling water so it's tough to answer that question. If it's because you are under a boil water advisory, then no, because they just want you to kill the bacteria in the water. If you need it for sterilization purposes, then your container must be sterilized also. Just understand that as soon as the air hits it, it is no longer sterile. If you are sterilizing for a baby, unless there is a medical need, it is a bad idea because when your baby ends up having to use regular water, or anything else, they are liable to get sick because they have not been exposed to anything. Sterilizing also kills the good bacteria that we need for survival. I know, sounds gross that we need good bacteria, to me it all sounds bad, but it's not.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• im sterilizing for baby bc i do not know if my mom has well or city water....i know its crazy she doesnt either...if u have well water dont u have to have a well somewhere in ur yard??? sorry if i sound stupid.
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The well would be either under the house or right next to or near the house.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• ok so i have city water thanks a bunch :)
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2011