I keep looking back...

18-20 were my best years I find myself now wanting the same things I had then now. The same friends, fun cool style, body.....which makes me dismal now. How can I accept my past for all it's greatness and enrich the present without looking back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• The only thing I want from my past is my body!!
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Accept yourself, mama! Recognize that you are still that fierce, fun-loving, funky-fresh styling hot body that you were at 20!!! You might not look the same (I don't know), but you are still that hotness - you just have to remember it. Do something that reminds you of that time - find your friends (facebook is great for finding friends), wear some funky jewelry, clothes or shoes, - get a mani, pedi in a hot new color, hell, go clubbing with hubby, best friend or new friend - join a bookclub, start a bookclub - do something that gets your heart pumping!! The experiences you had at 20 are what made you . . . YOU! The present is a gift - don't waste time thinking about what you had - determine what you want now and go for it. Read Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou. From one cafe mom to another - I think you're Fierce!!!
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 12:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I suspect you are remembering it better than it truly was. Often we forget the negatives of past experiences and only remember the "glory days". I wouldn't go back to 18 for anything. I am proud of what my life has stood for and the experiences I have had. I am nearly 47 years old, a wife, a mother, a friend, a lover, and I have learned to be happy as I am.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 1:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would say about now is the time to rediscover yourself!!!

You do not have to be that 20 year old girl, actually I would suggest you don't. I think it would be much more fun to discover new things about yourself. About 3 yearsago I met a person at the restaurant I was working at who is a recovered alcoholic who is also a spiritual counselor and he turned me on to this book "The Tao of Inner Peace" by Diane Dreher, the book helped me let go of the person I was so that the person that I am can shine through. I am not like the person I was before age 20. I actually love myself much more than I did before.

Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I wrote this journal a few years ago,  maybe you will find it inspirational.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1058746/My_thoughts_on_aging

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2011