WM and SAHM...what do you prefer?

DO you prefer to work from home?
Do you prefer to not work?
Do you prefer a part time or full time job?

I am a student and I work part time. I prefer to work part time, just because I get my own money where I know I worked for it and I can do as I please with it. I didn't like when I was a SAHM/student, I'd always have to go thru someone, ie hubby, to get a dollar, that always made me feel guilty, like I was spending his money, not our money. And being home so much is draining to me, Im out doorsy. And after so many days of being home, doing the same old stuff just got boring and more boring.

I feel like me working part time allows me my freedom, no guilt, and I am still able to be home a lot with my son, with a clearer mind.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• i started to be a wm and then i had to leave a job and i became a just a student and sahm and then i got a parttime job and i go to school full time. so that works for me. i work part time and school full time. and right now because its summer time i only take 1class and i am home mostly getting the house ready for company and in the summer its full time hours but its really part time and its flexiable and not really nothing really stressful. its perfect and when i graduate i will be a full time working mommy! yippie! i can not wait.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would prefer to not have to work.. but that's not an option for me.. so I work full time from my home.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 11:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I stay at home and my husband has to go through me to get the money! I handle everything that goes down in this household except for mowing, moving heavy items and picking up dog poop. I do not feel like I have to ask my husband for anything. I am, afterall, working here every single day and saving him a boat load of money on daycare for our three kids. I'm sorry you feel like you have to just sit at home with your child....we go out and about daily! Parks, children's museum or just out in the yard you've just got to dig deep and pull out the child you used to be to have fun with your own children. As soon as my youngest is in school, I will go back to working outside the home. Or I may not and actually just do nothing for a while! Mom's must do what works best for them and their family. =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I'm a student looking for part time work. I tried staying home for the first year of DD's life and while I enjoyed it, I'm clearly NOT cut out to be a SAHM. I need to be social and money is always good.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 11:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have a small part time job during the school year. It brings in about $80 a week which pays for 2 weeks worth of gas for both of our cars. I can take a kid who doesn't feel well with me and I am almost always available for field trips and child emergencies. DH and I are embarking on a business venture, so my work will increase greatly but still be from home.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would like to be a SAHM for a while . . . sadly that's not my lot in life right now with 2 kids in college. Maybe when the youngest goes off to college - pray for me y'all :-) LOL!!!
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 12:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I volunteer rather than work. My situation is different in that I have a husband with medical issues and two children that get sick easily so I volunteer in ways that an organization can use but isn't depending on me.

quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 1:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Oh you should for sure do what you thinks will make you a better mommy! If being active and working part-time makes you happy then figure out a way to do it and make it happen.

I thought that was what I wanted, but I could not stand being away from my baby when I was away. I might try again when she is older.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i like being a SAHM & full time student. it allows me to be w/ my kids most of the day, but at the same time i have something thats just for me & will make me able to have a FT career when they get into school.

i also handle all our money, do the budget, etc. i dont have to ask for money b/c im the one who knows whats available to spend...DH isnt too great w/ money. i probably would feel bad about "using" DH's money if i wasnt in charge of it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I have been all 3. Currently I am a WAHM and I LOVE it, cause I can be home with the kids, but also have my own money coming in, and not have to depend on my husband for money.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2011