How do you get a toddler to move to a toddler bed?

My daughter will be 2 in march and I'm due in may, so sometime between now and may I want her out of her crib. The last time I asked this question all I got was not to force her into the bed. BUT I need her to go to her toddler bed so I can get ready for the new baby. Last night I put her to sleep in her crib and when she fell asleep I moved her to the toddler bed and patted her till she fell back asleep, then after a few hours she got up to find me and wouldn't go back to sleep in the bed so I put her back to sleep in the crib...should I just keep trying this every night or how would you do it?

maderacaligirl

Asked by maderacaligirl at 12:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would not wait until she is asleep to switch beds. we started putting our kids in the toddler bed for naps for about a week or so and then put them there for bedtime. I say a week or two, but some times they asked to sleep their before that.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I agree with the previous reply. If you absolutely have to move her to a bed now, best just to go for it. Do it before the baby comes (it'll be harder to switch if you wait until the baby is born). Start right with naps and take it from there. Play it up: she's a big girl now and it's time to sleep in a big girl bed etc.
    If you want you can try sitting in a chair next to her bed until she falls asleep and then each night gradually move the chair closer to the door until she no longer needs you to sit with her.
    The other option is to do it Super Nanny style: the first time she pops out of bed say "it's time to go to sleep" then put her back in bed, after that don't say anything, just keep putting her back in bed. It may make for a few rough nights but she'll get the idea eventually.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my daughter will be 3 in Feb. when we moved to Va we didnt let her see her crib just put the toddler bed together and told her she was a big girl and big girls sleep it big girl beds! at first she had to have it in my bedroom but 2 weeks ago she said she wanted to sleep in her bedroom with her babydolls and she's been in there since, but now she dont want her night light on or the hall way light! but i guess she was just ready for it!
    hayleesmommy06

Answer by hayleesmommy06 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• We started our son in one at 18 months old. We took the crib down and put it in the attic (even though we would be needing it again in less than 6 months). We let him "help" pick out new sheets. Then we made a really big deal of putting the sheets on his "big boy bed" and praised him when he laid down in it. He slept in it the first night and had no problems. He was actually about 26 months old when we switched from a toddler bed to a regular twin bed. And we took the bed rail off last month when he was 31 months old. Again doing the same thing...letting him pick out the sheets and giving lots of praise for being in his big boy bed.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2008