How to start the day with reading and doing lesson plans?

Just to keep the kids in tune with school but not an old day thing only an hour or so I still want them to enjoy their Summer I just don't know where to begin or want to hear the whining :/
Thanks ladies for some direction ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just tell them before they can go and play or whatever they have to complete so many minutes of reading and complete whatever work you want them to. That works for my boys.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I start with this in the morning. Then 3 hours non school activities, then lunch, then some more reading or math.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I agree with both of you. I told my daughter (9) that she would be reading and practicing writing and math every day during summer vacation. She reads about two hours a day on her own. However, reading time must come before TV or computer time which is limited to 1 hour daily for the computer. I have signed her up for the summer reading program at our local library since she was 4 years old. They have a weekly activity/guest speaker. She is also responsible for keeping a log of what she reads. Younger children can also count books that have been read to them. They are given prizes at the end. The library also has Tumblebooks which is an online collection of books that your kids can read or have read to them: http://www.tumblebooks.com/library/asp/home_tumblebooks.asp

There is also a collection of books for other age groups called Tumble Readables: http://www.tumblebooks.com/tumblereadable/home.asp

Mommy2Nia

Answer by Mommy2Nia at 1:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If you do it first thing ion the morning every morning and stick with it they will get used to it
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 7:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• We do worksheets in the evening as i work and he is at daycare all day. We try to do at least 5 and read a small book.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 10:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I have a hard time doing formal learning in the summer. While I agree it's important to keep skills sharp and review, I also think it's equally important to have time off.

We read daily. We make it a family thing. Every day we curl up in the room or outdoors and read for about 20 minutes. Sometimes they hang out longer. Sometimes we read the same book so we can 'book club it." Modeling the behavior goes a LONG way.

As for the other subjects - Instead of drilling math or doing worksheets we find ways to incorporate math skills into baking, creating projects (model cars, jewelry boxes, etc) Science, history? We drag the telescope out, we visit museums. We're learning but its fun. We made glow chalk (A crayola kit) the other night and talked about the chemistry behind the chalk we were making. We write our own books together and share them with one another, etc. It's all fun stuff and it all enforces what they learned
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:51 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Just let them know that that is going to be their schedule. If you put it on paper that would help too so that they can check off things as they are completed.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Get a routine going. Set out a clear plan and stick with it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Do it in the mornings and stick with it! :)
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• just set a timer and have them read in the early afternoon after lunch, or when they get up. if you must do math or other areas of learning, I'd suggest putting it to good use. helping with projects around the house, using a tape measure or baking is a great idea.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2011