okay so,..always around christmas i start to feel ..

whenever christmas time roolls around i always start to feel more "spiritual" do u know what i mean...whenever i was a teenager i was completly agnostic,{forgive me if i offend anyone} and whenever i had my daughter at 17 i kinda began to explore other than that beyond what i had believed...i dont think i could ever be a full fledged christian {not to say that being a christian is bad,..b/c its DEF not} but ive become more spiritual since the birht of my daughter and basically im wondering how should i convey to my daughter {when she starts to wonder or when she old enough to understand} about God and what is the right thing to teell her?

amysmomma505

Asked by amysmomma505 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, only you can decide what is the right thing to tell her. I am an atheist, but I know that my children will hear about god from school, friends, etc... and so I know there will come a day when they will come and ask me about god. I plan on first telling them what my beliefs are. That there is no god, and how and why I came to hold such beliefs. Then I will tell them that other people believe differently. I will tell them about all the different gods, and let them decide for themselves which, if any they want to believe in. I imagine as they get older, I will probably have them research each religion on their own, so they can grasp a deeper understanding of them. If they want, I will take them to church, or a mosque, or a buddhist temple, or any other place they wish to visit and learn about. I want their decision to be well informed.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'm in the same boat as my2.5boys. I'll take it a step further though and say that I don't think children should be forced to belieive what their parents do. They should have the right to choose their own belief system when they are old enough to make informed decisions. Just MY opinion though.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I agree 100% with my2.5boys (BTW - ShutterBug77 she never mentioned forcing her beliefs on her children).

I teach my son about different religions, holidays and origins of holidays. My son is aware that christmas has nothing to do with the birth of a deity, but everything with converting pagans to christianity. When he is older and he has questions I will take him to different religious services so that he can learn and we can discuss their beliefs more fully.

Informed decisions are important, they rank right up there with being responsible for ones actions.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 1:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Oh I know that...that's why I said that I'd take it a step further.  That portion was purely MY opinion in no way refering to anyone specific, just as a whole.

ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I know what you meant shutterbug, but to be fair, I don't think most theists view it as forcing their beliefs on their children. It's just that they hold their beliefs to be the one and only truth, and so they naturally want to share that truth with their children. The other day a friend of mine was over, her daughter goes to a Catholic preschool, and she was telling me how wonderful it is that her daughter can come home and tell her about god, and why they celebrate christmas, and etc... She doesn't see it as indoctrinating her daughter into her faith, she sees it as sharing what she holds to be true with her daughter.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• This is probably sad and I am sure I will get a bunch of criticism but I feel less spiritual at Christmas time. I guess it gets to me that the vast majortiy of people forget what Christmas is really about and it becomes a gift giving cookie eating alcohol drinking free for all. I probably need to pray and ask God to give me pateince in that area BUT I am really glad it hits home with you. Personally My favorite holiday is easter :) As far as your daughter goes teach her what you want her to know in the manner you want her to know it. My son started spending a lot of time in hsopitals and I wanted to give him something so he knew God was with him at all times. I found a teddy bear that says "Jesus loves me" On its belly and its a little child singing the song when you squish it. It brings a calm to them when they are sticking an iv in him. It can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. Shes your baby its up to you :)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I am going through the same things... I use to be christian, then I studied wicca and later became agnostic. When my daughter was born it made me want to believe in so much more. Me and my bf (who is christian) decide to teach her that there is something more. I let her go to church with nana when her nana goes (every couple weeks, daughter is only a year old, lol) and when she is older I will encourage her to study any religion that teaches good practices, and let her decide.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2008