Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you work for CPS (child protective services), can you help?

I ONLY want people who actually WORK for CPS. Not someone who has a friend who has a sister who has a boyfriend that works for them, ok? Thanks! I have a question I need to ask-I cannot imagine that CPS policies vary that much from state to state. Again, only people that work for them. Can anyone help me? Please??? I need to know if removing the fiance and children from a home in question during an ongoing investigation would make it worse or better? I have a few other questions, but I'd like to discuss those privately, if possible. Thanks in advance.

Answer Question

Asked by EvaSerenity at 12:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • Just wanted to add, I WILL report any uncalled for, mean answers. You do NOT know the situation, so you have no right to form a bad opinion on it. I'm going through enough without dealing with people who forgot to take their Mydol.

    Answer by EvaSerenity at 12:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • I am a former CPS caseworker. I worked there less than 6 months because the system is so messed up. I doubt you'll find a current CPS caseworker who has time to be on Cafemom.

    I think I would need to know just a little bit more details. When you say "home in question" what do you mean exactly? If you mean you are living in a place with relatives who sell drugs, then OF COURSE it would be good to leave. Same if you mean living in a house that's unsafe and full of cockroaches. That would be a positive change!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Are you basically asking if the entire family can move during an investigation?

    What are the allegations? If its something minor you could just up and leave and move to another state and they would close the case and they wouldn't try to track you down, at least I think so. If you do that don't tell a SINGLE PERSON where you are moving to. They'll just close the case. Then you can get a fresh start. Personally I would leave a nice msg on the caseworkers voicemail, saying that you've found a better opportunity and the family is moving and then move.
    BUT do not tell anyone or have your mail forwarded.

    They will not track you down if its for something minor . If its sex abuse, that's prob a different story, well even in that case there's not much they can do........

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • actual policies can be found at it has each state listed and some states have the actual cps manual on line go to your DHHR website for you state and look for Policy manual.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • The allegations against my Fiance are child abuse. Which I know for a FACT he DID NOT DO! Against his own daughter who lives with her mother (and I use that term very loosely). She just wants more money from him and also to cover up the fact that my SD is being molested by her or someone in her home. I have my two DD's who live in the home with myself and my fiance, CPS is now wanting to try and take them too because they can't prove anything against him about SD's injuries. So, I want to know, if me and the kids leave (temporarily, of course), could they still investigate my kids? I'm so scared they're going to take my babies. I don't care what anyone says-there is a dirty investigation going on here.

    Answer by EvaSerenity at 2:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • (cont.) Of course, my kids and my house for that matter are all in pristine condition. Her's (SD's mother) is dirty, gross, unsanitary, and she doesn't even bathe her kid!!! AND she just had another one she's not taking care of. How the hell is this supposed to be fair??!! Anyway, they (CPS) came out here without reading or giving a copy of our rights within the investigation-still have no done so, and did not even LISTEN to our side of the story. God knows, they're hanging on her every word though. I had read the poilcy manual for our state and they have failed to do so many things, but I don't know that we can prove it-its kinda our word against theirs I guess.

    Answer by EvaSerenity at 2:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Have you considered just talking to your cps caseworker? They want what is best for the children just like you do and are willing to help you accomplish that. They dont WANT to remove your children the foster homes packed enough as it is. They want to help the family to be able to function properly

    Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Um...yea, tried that. Like I said though-SOMETHING fishy is going on. They aren't even investigating the mother, in spite of her living conditions and numerous allegations of abuse against her, some from people WE don't even know! WTH? And we have proof of SD's sexual abuse but they won't even put that in the case.

    Answer by EvaSerenity at 3:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • PM me. I'm a social worker and therapist. But I am not going to answer as a professional. I wil answer as a mother/friend. To do so will get any professional in the field in trouble. It is actually considered unethical. So if you want, PM your situation and I can offer advice but it is only to be taken as friendly advice and not as a concrete answer. For one, it is impossible to tell from these little blurbs what is really going on since there are always multiple sides to a story and nothing is all black or all white. So I'll answer back what I would do if I were the woman in your particular situation. That realistically is all even someone who works in this field can offer.

    Answer by frogdawg at 3:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Hi - First Anon Poster here (from 2:01) ------------ Actually I think the wisest thing for you to do is leave! There is *definitely* a strong chance you will lose custody of your kids and they might go to foster care if you keep living with this fiance. If the sex abuse allegations against him are proven to be true (even if they aren't but CPS says they are) then they will either remove your kids too, or tell you you need to leave.

    Personally, I would leave and end the relationship with him for at least now. Even if the allegations against him are false, you should put your relationship on pause until it gets straightened out.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.