Ever feel like no matter how hard you try, somedays you just can't get the darn house straightened?

much less cleaned. That also seems to be the day every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to drop by. Today was one of those days for me. Dh is away for a while on his job and I made some spring (well summer now) cleaning plans. Mistake number one never plan it,lol. A huge storm hit last night with high winds. Woke up this morning to not only all my yard work going to pot, the tree out front had lost a giant branch which ripped the tree clear down the trunk and scattered other branches everywhere. Our pool had been drained the day before because we had to get a replacement liner sent to us free of charge due to defective parts(we only had it for 2 weeks) but since it just happened to be almost empty when the storm hit the winds picked it up and slammed it down bending the metal frame. My house was a wreck because dh went tdy(military) and when he packs he makes a mess and i have to help him find this, that and the other half the time. He leaves messes everywhere he searches for things. I'm busy helping him and we're all spending time together rather than doing housework so my house was an absolute wreck. Figured I'd catch up with my spring cleaning plans. Didn't know I was going to wake up with a yard full of extra work. Ds friends all want to come over at once. Ds friends parents come looking for there kids. Dd (she's 6) leaving a trail of mess everywhere she goes and whining all day about needing one thing or another which took me away from the housekeeping. Dd had repeated phone calls from her friend which I stop what I'm doing to answer the phone because dd is only 6. I am thankful that the neighbors came over to help out with the giant tree mess. (they knew dh went tdy so they figured I needed some help) I went out there to do as much as I could hoping and praying they didn't need to come into my very dirty house. Something in the air today.....saying you will live in garbage,lol.As soon as I would clean or fix something the kids,pets or the weather would destroy it.(Dog had chunks of mud every where, cat tore down the curtains..you name it ,it happened) Between the mess in my house and the mess outside I feel like one big mess today. I am exhausted and I feel I haven't got near enough done. DS is having a sleepover tomorrow so I really hope tomorrows house cleaning and yard work go better than today. Hope I didn't bore no one with my little rant here, I suppose there are worse things that can happen. Ever have one of those 1 step forward, 3 steps back kind of days?

christina259

Asked by christina259 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Oh goodness!!!! All the time!

I think you should spend time with family over house cleaning as long as the house is not filthy.

You're doing great! Its no big deal if your house is not perfect :)
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Every day. I give up most days and accept my house's perpetual messy status. I keep the gross stuff done, like dishes, so the house doesn't stink, but other than that, I try not to worry about it too much. When I do I stress myself out. The living room will be CLEAN, vacuumed, straighened, dusted, all the laundry that is usually on the sofa will be folded and put away... and I'll go to do a load of laundry and come back and there are toys and goldfish crackers and pants that have been peed in (my daughter is potty training) and dolls and the socks from the mismatched sock bucket all over the floor.

And when I have the kids I baby sit over? forget it. 5 kids all together means constant work for me, but none of it is housework lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I so need to learn how to let go sometimes, I'm a neat freak wanna' be. I say wanna' be because sometimes I achieve it, sometimes I don't but I love to have a clean house and mess just bugs the heck out of me, I feel stressed just simply because my environments a mess. I wish I could be more like dh and the kids and just not see it.
    christina259

Comment by christina259 (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yeah, I agree, just relax a bit more. We have 6 kids and the house is crazy but I can't enjoy it if I'm constantly trying to keep it spotless. I just tidy up before DH gets home from work, and make sure that under the mess is esentially clean, and just go with it. Enjoy your family, pets, kids, and all; they'll grow up too soon and these days will be gone forever. Enjoy them.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• oh dear lord yes and it makes me mad and people wonder why i get that way
    britt2thabrat

Answer by britt2thabrat at 2:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i don't stress over it too much. i always do a little bit every day.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yesterday! As we were headed out the door DD found a plate from breakfast that we somehow missed and trailed scrambled eggs from her room to the front door. I could figure out what to wear because it's so hot but I was taking the kids so see their dad and didn't want to look too sexy to him so there were clothes everywhere! The cats knocked the kid's toy box over and SO managed to dump out the shoe bin looking for change... got home and found a note from a cousin saying they stopped in for a bite to eat (we have the lake house where everyone is welcome) and they cleaned up a bit with a frown face. what's that saying kids use these days "FML"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I have those every day. I'm not sure when I am going to have a neat house. When my daughter and her children move out? When my 8 year old finally grows up and moves out? When everyone moves out and I ban children, men and animals from my house?
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• just every day of the week it seems like I just get things picked up put away and straightened up and my kids come behind me and make a mess again. We are trying to pack to get ready to move by the middle of next month and every time I get things packed and ready to put in storage for now the box gets opened and everything is back out again. It gets very annoying and I have gotten to the point I tell them if they don't want to help then everything is going in the dumpster
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes especially when the dishes, laundry, cooking, etc...doesn't stop. By the time breakfast is done and you've cleaned up and done the dishes not long after your back in the kitchen dirtying things for lunch lol then again for dinner. I'm sorry you had such a bad day...there will be better ones!
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2011