Weight issues

Ok my son is at 24 pounds and 6 oz and his 2 years and 6 months and his not ever in the 5th% on the weight and his GI Dr was all freaking out about him losing a few oz from his last apt 2months ago his height is fine his in the 25th % so not worry about that and the Dr keeps bring up NG tubes to start feeding him around the clock but I don't thinly he needs that but idk.. btw my son was born at 24 weeks and 1 day at 1pound 3 oz ok the qu is is any other moms going throw this or have beem throw this and was there something I can do he drink pedasure everyday and his a picky eater

enaNianza

Asked by enaNianza at 1:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a little boy who was "small for dates" and has never even been up as high as the 5th %ile. He was breastfed, despite doctors freaking out saying I should give him formula; now he's nearly 8 years old and only 16kg. He's active and mostly healthy - he's a bit susceptible to colds and chest infections, his motor skills are a bit backward for his age, but he's happy and the smartest kid in his class. Some kids are just going to be small. It's who they are. I'd trust your mommny instincts on this. If you feel that he's doing okay, go with that. Ignore the doctors.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son had some issues with weight but no way did they try to do that. He had to see a GI doctor and have tons of blood tests. They made a nutrionist come to the house and everything. It freaked me out but they did end up just saying that they felt he was just on the small side. Is your son on normal milk at this point? Maybe switch to whole milk? The nutrionist told us to give our son chocolate milk, with toast always put on butter and jelly, always just add higher intake of calories. But with your son being such a premie I don't know...I would ask if there are other options you can hit before going that far. My son didn't get on the % chart for weight until he was 4 and he only just hit above 5% at 5. He's always been 15-25% on height.
    rosemagic01

Answer by rosemagic01 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I trust the Dr always have and always will but I just don't want him to have surgery to the tube in, that the most thing I'm worry about I would be more ready for it if my son was never took off the feeding tube but now his been off it for 2years or so I'm not ready for it but that's the last thing they will do they just bring it up sometimes its not like we are making a app for the surgery to put it in
    enaNianza

Comment by enaNianza (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My doctor looks at how a child tracks on his/her OWN curve, rather than WHERE a child is in the percentiles. Theoretically, there is a spot for everybody on there, and it's not like the upper portions of the chart are "desirable" and other locations are "less desirable" or something.
    Now, if a child is dropping of his/her own curve, that is something to watch, and if it is happening consistently over time that is something concerning. And in order to accurately track what really is "dropping off consistently," you really have to know what is normal/typical increase at this age, and what intervals of time typically are measured. Such as, the rate of weight gain plateaus a lot once they hit the toddler stage, so the rate of increase is not particularly dramatic and if you are weighing frequently & tracking it that way, you might see some forward/backward stuff that could SEEM more concerning than it is. For instance, once they
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• (cont)
    hit two years, my doctor sees them annually (unless there are medical issues that come up between annual well child checks) so the curve is plotted at 18 months, then 2 years, then 3 years. So at your son's age, being weighed & measured two months apart as he has been would not be "typical" for plotting normal growth. I can understand that because of his adjusted dates & other issues, there could be reasons to follow him closely (and various doctors are keeping tabs & signing off on a variety of issues or aspects), but I'm just saying getting concerned over ounces in a span of a couple of months might not be a fair or accurate reading of the charts or what is "typical," but more alarmist. (Because the info is kind of out of context.)
    So, whether or not he is plodding along at his own consistent rate (grazing the bottom of the chart) versus dropping suddenly from 20th to below 5th, seems key. And making sure to be
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• (cont)
    "smart" about the conclusions drawn about "no gain" in a certain span of time being an issue or not.
    Maybe consult with the generalist (pediatrician) who is more attuned to general trends & what to expect, rather than a specialist who could conceivably be a little out of touch (with the "big picture" aspect) from focusing on the particular. Sounds like he is a little nervous because maybe he thinks your son doesn't have the "wiggle room" to forgive much, so he doesn't want to miss anything. Or he would feel more comfortable if your son could develop a bit of a "cushion." But with something so invasive, you really need to be sure an extreme response is warranted. So I would want to validate the concerns, or else contextualize them and clarify how the data is not particularly concerning when viewed in the right context.
    Steady & overall consistent gaining over time is the most important factor, not WHERE he falls %-wise.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Get a new dr and a second opinion. Every baby is different. If your son was a preemie then there isnt anything to worry about.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• His been at 24 pounds for months and his curve isn't going up its more leveling off then going up and at 10 months old he was 14 pounds its been 1 year and 7 months and his gain 10 pound not a good curve and this is a different Dr then normal same hospital
    enaNianza

Comment by enaNianza (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2011