Almost 2 years old, still not sleeping thru the night =/

My daughter has always wanted to wake up and have her bottle at night. Obviously this is fine when they are babies, but I had gotten her to sleep thru the night at 4months and 5 months, but besides that she has always waken up and wanted a bottle (I switched from formula to water/juice after she was one). I know some people say it's a habit and I have to break it, but I can't get her to stop waking up, idk what causes her to wake up and if I don't give her that bottle she gets really upset and obviously with her so upset shes wont lay back down and go to sleep. How do I teach her to self sooth herself? How do I figure out why she is waking up? She wakes anywhere from 3 to 6 times a night. We are ready to have another baby and I am so tired I would really love to have some rest thru the night before we do it all again lol

kveltri

Asked by kveltri at 1:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is not very helpful, but my littlest one is almost 3 and still doesn't sleep through the night. Never has. I co-sleep. Personally, I don't think self-soothing is healthy for kids, they need comfort and reassurance to build a healthy self-esteem.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• judimary - I co-sleep also, I really don't want her to self sooth but I would like to have the option for her to sleep in her room. If she slept thru the night, I think she could make it a night in her room. It's just that my hubby and I need some time to make that second baby lol and also I am not sure how it would go with a new baby in the room and my toddler in our bed as well!
    kveltri

Comment by kveltri (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If she's waking for a bottle, she is hungry/thirsty. Can't you keep a bottle of water on your nightstand? My dd is two and a half and still wakes up throughout the night to nurse. Her older sister didn't sleep through the night until she was three. I haven't had a solid 6 hour sleep in over 5 years. Unfortunately lack of sleep and children are a package deal.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Oh, I also wanted to add that we all bed share as well. Just sleep inbetween the baby and your toddler.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i always at night is heat up some milk ive always heard that warm milk helps you sleep and if she has a tv in her room but in a movie that has alot of music this is how i always get my son to sleep good luck
    britt2thabrat

Answer by britt2thabrat at 11:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• also not helpful but my son will be 2 next month and still wakes up at least 2 times a night for his sippy. I haven't bothered with the argument of water I just give him his milk. They'll sleep through the night when they are ready. (he's slept through the night exactly once!)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2011