What is the earliest education/school a child can get into and what ages?

What is there before preschool? Can you also tell me what ages a child is when they go to whatever is before that and preschool, kindergarten, elementary...? Thank you

kveltri

Asked by kveltri at 1:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• You might be able to check into your local daycare's and see what they offer. My son goes to a part time preschool through his daycare because he missed the cut off for preschool at the public school by a month. My friend has her 2 yr old in the same daycare, different class obviously, but he already knows his ABC's and other things from the class.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I agree , some daycares offer a type of preschool program for kids that are too young to go to regular preschool. The normal age for most schools is 4 to start.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My daughter went to preschool starting at 2. It was 4 hours/day, 2 days/week. She learned a lot, but as much as the education she learned to socialize, which is very important.

Answer by missanc at 8:11 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Where I live you can find preschool, two mornings a week for two year olds. Then there is preschool, three morning or three afternoons a week for three year olds, sometimes for 4 mornings/afternoons. Then at age 4 they go into PreK, age 5 is Kindergarten.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son started preschool a few mornings a week when he was three and will go half day five days a week for pre-k in the fall. I was on the fence about sending him when he was three but he really wanted to go and it was a great experience for him.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Well there is daycare, which children can start as early as 6 weeks. That is usually used by parents who work of course. Are you looking for care while you work, or a program your little one can go to PT during the week?
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Where I live a child can get into n early head start school program at 3 as long as he/she is potty trained, but I think you'd probably be looking at day care for anything before age 3.
    KandiApple2987

Answer by KandiApple2987 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I work at home, I have a home daycare so I do not need anything as early as daycare. I am wondering more so for the child that I care for, her parents seem to be high on early education and I was wondering (without asking them) how soon I may need to expect them to pull her from daycare and placed into "school". Is preschool and kindergarten required? Or do you start at first grade? Curious about that for my own daughter lol
    kveltri

Comment by kveltri (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2011