What do you think about having birth with a Midwife?

We had birth with a traditional doctor, I was induced after being 17 days past due. That is very late we know. Our baby came out like a super baby! Her growth rate is amazing! So no worries now, but it could have been dangerous.

Anyways, I was induced and only dilated to a 6 after 22 hours of labor and I started to have anxiety when the doctor mention a c section because I really did not want one. I read after the arrival of my little angel that many women who are induced eventually have to get a c-section anyways.

So, my SO says we should have used a midwife from the beginning and I probably would of had the baby naturally with their methods and techniques. Assuming our midwife was with me starting the second trimester and helping me induce labor days before I was due.

This is a big deal because we now want a very big family and I read that women should not have more than 3 c-sections and after you have one it is very dangerous to attempt a vaginal birth and must have very special care for it.

Ladies, give me your two cents about this?    I do not trust a lot of the information I find on the internet.  Mostly because it is all different. 

Please no bashing!  My first and only child was unplanned with a man I only knew for 1 month.  Magically, I think we are made for each other.  Its funny how things happen. 

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 2:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) is safer for most women.
    Who is advising this and why??

It depends on the reason for the previous cesarean sure, but usually a cesarean is riskier than a vaginal birth (even after a surgical birth).
    Midwives are dedicated to health, safety, and happy experiences. This tends to be mostly (all) natural.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Who we hire for our maternity care tends to be our greatest risk factor.

If you don't want a cesarean (or other unnecessary interventions, unnecessary risks) avoid hiring the high risk doctor/surgeon .
    Using the Normal Birth Specialist is very important if you prefer a normal birth.

Modern society can e thankful for the technologies IF WE SHOULD need them.
    But with their use for common everyday practice, women are actually not having improved outcomes.

Science has not improved upon nature...

As a student of maternity care, I am aware that it's important to hire the Right professionals for the Right thing.
    We have options and access to info, rights, health.
    But with an OB we are the least likely to receive those things.

:-(

What are YOUR priorities?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I delivered both times with a midwife, in a hospital (both inductions). I am high risk and saw an ob, a high risk ob, my midwife, a hematologist, and a cardiologist during my pregnancy. They all worked together, and in the end, my midwife was with me both times. She was awesome!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I had 5 babies, all with a midwife, in a hospital, and on medicaid. 3 of those were induced - drugs, not "midwife intervention in 2nd trimester". Our midwife doesn't do home births. I got the best of both worlds, IMO - I was happy to be in a hospital and I loved my midwife - never had a doctor touch me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would suggest that if you have concerns like this that you find a dr, midwife or ob who you feel comfortable with. Pose questions to them what would you suggest if ....... and if you don't like their answers then find someone else.
    But I would try to fine someone before getting pregnant if you're not already just so you can have a better idea what to expect.
    But if you have a dr who says it's safe to try a vbac then go for it. My dr who has delivered countless babies, some a result of a vbac, has not had a patient's incision rupture. That is the main concern with vbac's from what I've learnt.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My pregnancy was unplanned with a man I dated for a month. We are still together and have a very happy family and relationship. I never thought I would have children or be married to be honest. Pregnancy was not something I knew a lot about. I went on medicaid because I had no savings, I worked as a waitress and my SO lost his job. I took what medicaid gave us and thought that was all their was.
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 2:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Medicaid has provided wonderful services for me & my pregnancies.
    LOVE it!
    :-)
    But as a birth advocate, I am aware that even with private insurance, women can still utilize resources and get their money's worth.
    We have Rights and laws, we are In Charge of our own maternity care.

So what are your preferences?
    I think we generally want happy-healthy-safe outcomes. Did you know a midwife is more likely to provide this?

What do you want, you can have help to achieve.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would like to have a natural births from now on. Is that possible after a c-section? I am being advised against it.

I was told a midwife is dedicated to natural birthing which was what I wanted and I did not know this until I was 39 weeks preggo.
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I was told by my OB that my baby was very big and statisically the next baby will be even bigger. He was concerned about how narrow my birth canal is. I also have 2 girlfriends who say they researched it and they will not do VBAC. I also looked into it and the websites I visited made it seem like it wasn't worth the try. I know one mama who had 5 c-sections.

My SO thinks it is some weird conspiracy and I should not listen to them.

Im kind of a numbers type of gal, do you know how a general percentage of women who attempt a VBAC and it is successful?

Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 3:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• my first DD was born via csection and i had my midwife in attendance (the csection was due to her being breech) and with this DD i am going with a repeat csection after being given the risk factors of a vbac and the main fact that my midwives would only be with me till 29weeks and then i would have to move to a specialist for Vbacs and would not be able to deliver in the hospital of my choice
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 4:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2011