6 week old fussy while breastfeeding:-( please please help....

Hey Lady's, first, thank you so much for looking at my question. I have a 6 week old, who from birth has been pretty cranky, but recently it's become more then that. He's now not nursing well, more like, not efficiently. He will act starving, start nursing, he takes the let down, but then becomes very aggravated, and upset, he starts to pull on and off, on and off, constantly. Also, his suck seems pretty poor, and he doesn't suck hard enough to get all the milk out of my breast. I do not use bottles, and refuse to try formula. Thankfully my milk seems to be doing "okay" for now, but he isn't getting much hind milk so i'm starting to worry that my milk is going to drop low. He is gaining weight, and is 10 pounds at 6 weeks. He's fussy pretty much whenever he's awake. He spits up, a lot, and after every feeding. Sometimes he is still spitting up an hour after he eats, and at that point it's normally curdled milk. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the spitting up though, and i'm pretty certain it's not acid reflux. I'm getting sad that he doesn't willingly take the breast. Also, I should say, that since birth he has never seemed satisfied after a feeding, it's like he didn't get what he needed ect. Any idea's? I'm lost, and i've done so much research online about it with no luck. My midwife has be on a Wheat and dairy free diet, but it's not help, as of yet.

Thanks ladies, I certainly appreciate any advice

Organicmommyof4

Asked by Organicmommyof4 at 2:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with him not wantin to latch on and stay on could there be a problem with his mouth? like thrash?
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Does he arch his back? My son acted like this and had silent reflux. He was in horrible pain when he tried to eat and at one point stopped nursing completely. He was put on Prevacid and Reglan and was a totally different child.
    My other guess would be a very forceful letdown, which can be helped to some degree by changing positions.
    I would suggest making an appointment to see a pediatric GI specialist, and also try nursing in the football hold. That helped my son a little bit.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Most babies are going through a growth spurt at 6 weeks old which would cause him to be very fussy. Your baby also sounds like he might be over fed. This exact thing happened to my little girl. You are probably producing more than he eats at the moment because your body is naturally adjusting to his spurt. I tested out my production by pumping ONE breast and I got 10 ounces when she was 6-weeks old! Before feedings, I pumped out the first 3 ounces of my milk and them feed her from that breast so she ate good amounts of foremilk and hindmilk. Your body will adjust in time to his needs once it figures out you are not using it. He is probably latching and unlatching because he wants the comfort of your nipple without the milk. Keep a pacifer handy or just put your finger in his mouth and see if he is satisfied. Also, try to feed him when he is calm and tired in an elevated position until you figure this out.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 4:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i know you don't think it may be acid reflux, but acid reflux can mimick your babys symptoms. my second baby had acid reflux, didnt want to take her bottle sometimes and would spit up alot and she gained weight too, the dr told me some babys lose weight with it and some dont. also he could be gassy.
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 8:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I stopped breast feeding my son after two weeks. He just did not want my breast anymore so I switched to bottle feeding and formula. He was perfectly fine after I switched. My son was very cranky and always crying only because he was sooo constipated so at two weeks old the docs told me to put him on prune or pear juice 1oz only. After I did that he was great!! Now if you do not have that problem with your baby, you might wanna check with your doctor. My cousin had that problem with her baby and he was constantly vomiting and he had to get surgery. His intestines were not open enough to digest his food. After his surgey he was fine and ate normal as he should. I don't want to scare you with this but it sounds serious if he keeps vomiting. Best wishes , goodluck, and godbless!!
    mommymamamom

Answer by mommymamamom at 8:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Please go to kellymom.com and look up "fast letdown." You are describing it to a T, and the fix is so ridiculously easy. Just lean back in your seat! Pictures on kellymom.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I was also going to ask about your let down, it really sounds like your let down is too fast for him. Listen to G's advice!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have overactive letdown and your situation sounds like mine. I pump before feeding to relieve some pressure, and I have been block feeding. My middle child was colic, and I never figured out what to do, and quit bf. Now with my son, I figured it out, but it is still a lot of work. I have to lie down to nurse him, it's the only way he will stay on.
    countrygirl1418

Answer by countrygirl1418 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2013